What's new
What's new

south bend 10 need help

bridgeport13b

Aluminum
Hi I am looking at a south bend lathe that is pretty ruff but does come with a ton of tooling and attachments that are not shown. the owner wants 500 for it and said it was a running machine until he took the base off of lathe and stored it away. Machine was his grandfathers and he said the rust is mostly surface rust and that the machine is really dirty.lathe.jpglathe1.jpglathe2.jpglathe4.jpglathe3.jpg

I'd break my arm reaching for my wallet so fast...

What do you need help with? There were no questions in your post.

1- yes, good buy for your area.

2-who cares what the bore is?? Even if it is the small bore 10" you are only a cheap and easy spindle swap away to make it a large bore machine.

Buy it.

Hi I am looking at a south bend lathe that is pretty ruff but does come with a ton of tooling and attachments that are not shown. the owner wants 500 for it and said it was a running machine until he took the base off of lathe and stored it away. Machine was his grandfathers and he said the rust is mostly surface rust and that the machine is really dirty.View attachment 208362View attachment 208363View attachment 208364View attachment 208365View attachment 208366
And only driven once a week to church on Sundays. .....

It's a project. Whether you buy it for parts or to rebuild. Are you interested in buying a project or are you interested in buying a usable machine tool, which it is not.

A "running lathe" means the motor works and the spindle spins (probably.... at some point). Everything else is to be determined.

Last edited:
I don't expect a running machine, I was looking for a machine that I can fully restore. I just wanted to make sure that it was worth the price

If the big hole is important, take something 1 5/16" OD (socket?) with you and see if it EASILY fits in back end of spindle before you commit

It will either fit with 1/16 slop or won't go at all in the 1" small bore version (which took collets to 11/16)

As said above, this is the small spindle version of a Heavy 10. It will NOT fit 5c collets
Replacing the spindle is all it takes to have a large spindle version.

All assembled, derusted and in operating condition its a 2k machine all day every day. This condition is NOT perfectly painted polished with all wear issues addressed.

As said above, this is the small spindle version of a Heavy 10. It will NOT fit 5c collets
Replacing the spindle is all it takes to have a large spindle version.

All assembled, derusted and in operating condition its a 2k machine all day every day. This condition is NOT perfectly painted polished with all wear issues addressed.

I ended up buying it, the bed ways are by far the cleanest ways I have ever seen, after rubbing a maroon scuff pad on ways they cleaned up immediately and literally have zero wear as in no ridge or any signs of dropped tool marks or any thing. Came with a ton of tooling and a dumore tool post grinder

Back