What's new
What's new

South Bend 10k - Using a 10L steady rest?

Dan1900

Aluminum
Will a heavy 10 steady rest work on a south bend 10k? I know the heavy 10 has wider ways, but since the steady rest rides on the inner v, maybe it won't matter? Seems the heavy 10 steady rests are much more readily available. My search results were inconclusive so would appreciate the help!

I have a 9" rest now that I would trade for a 10k if anyone is interested.

Isn't the spacing correct on the 9" steady? If so you could just make a spacer block to give it the extra 1/2" of lift to make it useful on the 10K.

Not positive but I think the spacing on the 10L one will make it not fit a 10K bed.

Isn't the spacing correct on the 9" steady? If so you could just make a spacer block to give it the extra 1/2" of lift to make it useful on the 10K.

Not positive but I think the spacing on the 10L one will make it not fit a 10K bed.

This post is correct, the smaller steady rest will not work on a Heavy 10 at all.

The 9A I had came with a steady and it was marked "NK" which I thought was for both the Nine and the 10(k)?

Another vote for using the 9" steady rest, at least until you the correct one for your lathe. The 9" and 10K beds are pretty interchangeable. Also, the 10L actually has a slightly larger swing than the 10K. Making a riser for the 9" rest will make it more compatible in size for the smaller 10" machine.
I have a 10K, that I use as a secondary lathe, that I was thinking of doing the same thing to. I picked up a 9" NIB telescoping steady rest a year or 2 ago for that very purpose. Just haven't got around to making it yet.

Will a heavy 10 steady rest work on a south bend 10k? I know the heavy 10 has wider ways, but since the steady rest rides on the inner v, maybe it won't matter? Seems the heavy 10 steady rests are much more readily available. My search results were inconclusive so would appreciate the help!

I have a 9" rest now that I would trade for a 10k if anyone is interested.

Told you I'd give you what you paid for it on Facebook.

Back