What's new
What's new

South bend 10x3.5

walt111

Plastic
I just bought lathe Saturday Jan 30 2016.
Old navy machine thus I can not find anything on it. These are the numbers on it. Swing 10 inch, length 31/2,catalog number CL187ZS. The serial stamped on the ways is a navy number 153225.
A couple other numbers 122USN 315281, 1643-3D-1045. Conforms to orders war production board. I would like to find any information on when it was born,operating instructions, etc. The stand it is on has u shaped legs, motor left side three drawers on the right.
Any help would be sincerely appreciated.
walt

Have the same model (1949). As far as operating, you need to find the book "How to run a lathe" by South Bend. EBay should have them. Tubal Cain on U Tube is also a learning source.

That 153000 number on the ways is the south bend serial number, 1944 vintage. You can order a copy of the build card from Grizzly for your lathe.

My flat belt has seen better days and needs a new one. This belt is not laced together but is one piece. How do I get it off and the new one on? Do I have to disassemble the whole head stock and the pulley under the head stock? Where do I find a new belt? A lot of questions from a new south bend lathe owner I know. If not allowed just delete me.
walt

Depending on what kind of belt it is , you may be able to save it . If the belt is no longer serviceable there are many options . I have glued automotive serpentine belts and leather belts , but my favorite is the synthetic/rubber composite from Expertise . The kit comes with two types of glue for the two types of materials , and once cured runs seamlessly / smooth . It's more expensive than most other belts , so you want to be sure everything is in good order before installing it .

Can anyone provide guidance to disassemble my compound on my 10x3.5. It does not move very easy and is binding. I think it is full of chips and what not, but I can't get it apart.
walt

There are two set screws on both sides 45 degrees off the cross slide axis at the rear. These each bear on a shoe that binds the taper on the compound base. Remove the set screws and pull the shoes. These typically are stuck, so some Kroil around it all and some patience may be on order. Wiggle the compound around after the solvent application. The compound eventually comes straight up to remove.

John

You'll find the rebuild manual by Ilion quite useful in maintaining your SB.

Kits Parts South Bend Lathe items in stevewb ILION South Bend Lathe Parts Kits Rebuild Manual store on eBay!

You might also want to do a Google search of practicalmachinist to find information about replacing your flat belt. There are many, many threads and opinions on the matter. The trick is to append "site:www.practicalmachinist.com" at the end of your search. For example try typing this into Google:
Southbend flat belt replacement site:www.practicalmachinist.com"

Teryk

My mistake in poor question.
The compound is removed and on the bench. I need to how to disassemble the compound. Once I remove the gib key how do I separate the top from the bottom? The compound does not move easily I suspect lots of crud in it.
walt

The compound is straight forward in coming apart. You need to remove the handle and screw from the top part. It may have a hole drilled in the bottom for a spanner wrench. The hole is in the part that the graduated collar rubs against. Once removed there is a set screw that holds the brass nut in place. You need to slide the pieces as far as you can so you can expose the bottom of the brass nut(it is round. This can be a hassle to get out. If not removed it will not separate. Last resort to remove the nut is to drill a hole in the bottom of it and tap to insert a screw to pull on it to remove. Once out the pieces will slide apart. Make sure you loosen/remove the gib screws and spray Kroil/wd40 if there is rust between so it will come apart easier. Hope this helps.

Yes, a small pry bar is usually used to pry the brass lead screw nut up through the hole in the compound base. I did three different SB 9er compounds at once and mixed up one of the nuts (it was too tight). Had to drill and destroy it to get it back out, so go slow and be careful. About 20 bucks for a replacement. As per the tale, you need to fit them.

John

Back