What's new
What's new

what size motor you have in your heavy ten?

lectrician1

Hot Rolled
I put a 1hp 120v brand new DELTA motor in mine and it started smoking while taking a medium cut while on the middle pulley.

What size is recommended for the heavy ten

Thanks

IMG_2191.jpgIMG_2146.jpgMy 1943 Heavy 10 (10L) has the Original 3/4 HP, 3-Phase, 208 Volt, 1725 RPM Westinghouse motor.

A previous owner had mounted a phase-converter, but it was burned out.

I thought about buying a Harbor Freight 1-HP 120 Volt replacement motor but was talked out of it by members on the forum.

Instead, they recommended keeping the original motor and buying a VFD to perform the phase conversion.

It has worked out Great and I have never looked back.

Fortunately, the motor worked (didn't need to be re-wound).

My 10L has a 1 hp 3phase motor run by a VFD. That's more than enough power to run that machine. I can't think of a way that taking "medium" cuts could overload almost any reasonable size motor on that lathe. What HP rating did you install and where was the motor made? Some Chinese electric motors overheat just from being looked at!

I put a 1 hp 120v 1725rpm motor that was made by Delta. The motor was brand new and it looked like it cAme from a table saw or something like that.

A 1 H.P motor should run that lathe good. at 1725 rpm, a table saw runs at a fast speed 3450 rpm

IMG_1424.jpg Here is a photo of the motor on my heavy 10 inch SBL, I was surprised it was a 1/2 H.P....

I removed the 1hp delta motor that was smoking and replace it with a 3/4hp dayton 120v motor. its working fine now
that delta motor was defective. surprising it was made in USA by marathon. it worked fine in forward and reverse but really heated up when i put any load on it. it blew a 20 amp breaker. the FLA is only around 11amps.

maybe the cetrifugal switch wasn't kicking out. If the start winding stays engaged it will get hot.

One thing to keep in mind is if you run a VFD or not, as the VFD can take some of the torque away as you decrease the speed. Since it is only recommended to do this on a 3 phase motor to 50%, I've been planning to use a 2HP motor with a VFD on the Heavy 10 I have. It has a brand spankin' new Marathon 1 1/2 HP single phase motor in the cabinet, which the previous owner bought. I'm definitely going 3 phase with a VFD, though and that would allow me to cut the bottom end speed in half with the VFD.

South Bend did ship 1/2HP and 3/4HP motors on the 9A, but didn't the 10L get shipped with 3/4HP and 1HP motors ?

Probably. Mine is not original, though I haven't stalled it yet. The belt slips before the motor bogs. I have a 3 phase 1/2 hp with a VFD to put on there at some point whenever I get off my arse and wire it up.

One thing to keep in mind is if you run a VFD or not, as the VFD can take some of the torque away as you decrease the speed. Since it is only recommended to do this on a 3 phase motor to 50%, I've been planning to use a 2HP motor with a VFD on the Heavy 10 I have. It has a brand spankin' new Marathon 1 1/2 HP single phase motor in the cabinet, which the previous owner bought. I'm definitely going 3 phase with a VFD, though and that would allow me to cut the bottom end speed in half with the VFD.

South Bend did ship 1/2HP and 3/4HP motors on the 9A, but didn't the 10L get shipped with 3/4HP and 1HP motors ?

I have a 2hp 3phase motor on my 10L for just this reason. I've not made a cut yet because I am still rebuilding the thing, but from my brief testing so far, it looks like overkill :)

allan

I have a 2hp 3phase motor on my 10L for just this reason. I've not made a cut yet because I am still rebuilding the thing, but from my brief testing so far, it looks like overkill :)

allan

Probably so Allan, but not when you need to torque on the bottom end and use the VFD to take it down.

I haven't started my restore, just took it apart in big pieces.

Someone used an adapter plate to mount the wrong motor in mine. It also just has a single step pulley on the motor shaft. I'd like to replace it with a correct motor. Does anyone know the original frame number and shaft size so I can order one?

Thanks.

Depends on the year and original motor. The mounting plate is intended to be drilled for different motors. Mine has holes for 56, 66, and 143/145 frames. I am currently using a 143, but its a pain to mount the thing. A 56 frame would have been much easier. Also note that each of those frames has a different shaft size, so you have to get the right pulley. I ended up making one to use a poly-v belt instead of a V belt.

allan

Depends on the year and original motor. The mounting plate is intended to be drilled for different motors. Mine has holes for 56, 66, and 143/145 frames. I am currently using a 143, but its a pain to mount the thing. A 56 frame would have been much easier. Also note that each of those frames has a different shaft size, so you have to get the right pulley. I ended up making one to use a poly-v belt instead of a V belt.

allan

You think this adapter plate is factory? I've never seen another SB with one.

7taXDmj.jpg

Doesn't look factory, but if you pull it off you may find that there are already more than one set of holes in there. The original part should be the thick casting the steel plate is bolted to.

Back