What's new
What's new

South Bend 11" what years were they made?

Galane

Hot Rolled
Didn't see anything on Tony's site on the 11" South Bend. Info on them seems to be pretty sparse on the web. Are parts hard to find?

They can be a bit scarce. The best you can do is to keep an eye out on e-bay, CL, check the "Metalworking Machinery" .pdf at www.plazamachinery.com, or try and contact sblatheman (on this site) to see what, if anything, is available.

-Ron

Prior to WW-II. Don't assume parts from one 11" would fit another. I'm pretty sure they made the 11" from the beginning of time up till the mid thirties. Things could have changed quite a bit in that time. I'm sure there's someone here that knows that era pretty well.

My 11" South Bend is 1941. Best wishes --- Allen

Interesting because the 11" was gone from the 1941 catalog. It is in the 1938 catalog. That shouldn't surprise us as SBL seemed to build whatever the customer wanted as long as they had castings. Between 1938 and 1941 the sales of machine tools exploded from a trickle to a torrent.

Got a line on an 11" missing the slides and apron, looks like everything else is there, including plenty of rust. Looks like it will have to be very cheap to make it worth rescuing and restoring.

Got a line on an 11" missing the slides and apron, looks like everything else is there, including plenty of rust. Looks like it will have to be very cheap to make it worth rescuing and restoring.

Without the slides or apron it may be WAY to difficult to "restore". Just finding those parts will be a trick. That might be a good candidate for parting out depending on what is actually there.

-Ron

Back