What's new
What's new

South bend 13 cross slide dial is broken off at the pin

Pmat

Plastic
Don't ask how, but the cross slide dial on my south bend 13 is snapped off right at the handle. Anyone make a repair like this? I'm thinking the shaft where it's broken could be turned down and press/soldier a new end on ...it's about an inch that's busted off.

Another time after the pain wears off I'll post a cautionary tale of moving a lathe that was ill advised....

The pin, not sure what you mean exactly. Just the threaded bit where the handle nut retains it, or did it snap off behind the dial?

If its just the handle nut, I'd probably just face that off and drill/tap for some threaded rod of the right size. Bit of loctite would hold it well enough

If you're back beyond that into the dial area, face it, drill it maybe 1/4" by about a half inch deep and make a piece of shaft that duplicates what broke off plus a stub to go into the drilled hole in the screw. Cross drill and pin them together, or you could braze or silver solder it and turn the repair smooth.

It snapped off flush with the outside of the dial. The broken piece is just what the handle goes on. I was imagining a repair like the one you suggested, but have no experience brazing or soldering machined parts together. It's a tiny piece, would you suggest mild steel or something like 4130 or ???

I said pin because it appeared to have a small hole drilled through at the break point, but now that I think about it the "pin" that I found was actually the key for the handle...

Thanks,
Paul

Actually, I just looked at the parts breakdown and there is a pin that holds the CF bushing that's the break point.

Cut it back to a reasonably large diameter section, so there is more surface area for your locktite or solder, and the wall thickness around your hole can be greater. You can fix it on your current lathe, just lock the cross slide gib screws, and use the compound for infeed.

allan

Solder needs a little space to fill or just a small rim edge will be holding. Perhaps .006 to fill and have a little stock on the stub to be turned perhaps +.050 or better.
With a taper pin could be a light press.

Back