What's new
What's new

South Bend 13 features

Tony from KY

Plastic
I'm looking at a South Bend 13". Will someone point me to an operator's manual, list of features, anything that will tell me what this lathe can do?

What makes this lathe special?

What will a South Bend 13" lathe do? Well, how about turning, boring, facing, threading, some milling (with the appropriate attachment), just about anything a Hendey gear head or Leblonde, or even a Clausing will do....only slower (you won't take as big a bite .100" plus in say,4140).

What's special about a South Bend 13" lathe? Ease of operation and maintenance, parts availability, reasonable initial cost.

They are a nice machine and will do good work, if you do your part.

That about sums it up.

Find one with double tumbler gearbox and hard ways and a lever clutch, if you have time to look.

Older models had a star shaped wheel on the apron to engage feeds. Newer models have a hand lever. Since this is a pressure based engagement, undoing the start wheel in time
can be a bit tricky. Much easier to flip the feed handle. Also easier to get consistent force before slipping the feed.

regards,

Jon P.

The SBL 13 inch is heavy about 1200 lbs.+ if you found a nice one at a good price, I would not pass it up.

I fetched the lathe today - drove 730 miles. Here it is in my truck.

And pic #2

Of course, the challenge will be getting it OUT of the truck... the seller used a forklift...

I thought I'd post a little video to show the 13" in action. Hope it helps...

South Bend Lathe - 13" Depth Of Cut - YouTube

Brad,

Not for nothing, but your video is misleading, IMO. While you are taking off .100" off the stock, you are not cutting .100" chips. You could take a similar cut on a SB9.

Do you think the SB13 can cut .100" chips? That's .025" shy of 1/8".

BTW, what is the thickness of the actual chip you cut?

Cheers,
Alan

I fetched the lathe today - drove 730 miles. Here it is in my truck.
Of course, the challenge will be getting it OUT of the truck... the seller used a forklift...

Nice looking lathe, cam lock spindle and hardened bed. :cheers:

You might be able to use an engine hoist, you only need to lift it a couple inches. You could also build a simple gantry type crane with 4x4s, and use a chain fall to lift it a few inches, drive the truck out, and lower to ground. The other way would be if you like to take things apart and put them back together? :rolleyes5:

Cheers,
Alan

Nice looking lathe, cam lock spindle and hardened bed. :cheers:

Thanks!

You might be able to use an engine hoist, you only need to lift it a couple inches. You could also build a simple gantry type crane with 4x4s, and use a chain fall to lift it a few inches, drive the truck out, and lower to ground. The other way would be if you like to take things apart and put them back together? :rolleyes5:

I have a barn that has 2x10 joists and a dirt floor. I could put down some patio pavers and then wedge a 4x4 between the pavers and the joists, on each side of the truck. I bought a 1 ton chain hoist for this purpose. The I hear the lathe is 1,500# give or take. Knowing how things tend to get rated, this may not be enough of a chain hoist. But it's not even out of the box. I could return it and get a 2 ton hoist...

I could also disassemble the lathe and remove it a piece at a time with what I have. I have to take it apart anyway to get it into the basement. I'm debating now on how much of a rebuild/repaint I want to do. I'm going to replace the felts before I run it and it's 3-phase so I'll need a VFD. In short, there's no rush. If it's in service by the fall I'll be delighted.

call a tow truck with the boom. it`s an easy job for them and IME they are happy to make some easy cash.- last time I think it cost me a whopping 70 bucks- I gave him 100 just because it made things so easy.

nice machine!

Back