What's new
What's new

South Bend 13 L00 vs 2-1/4x8 spindle

Pmat

Plastic
I have a south bend 13 with a L 00 taper spindle. In acquiring some parts I needed I now also have a 2-1/4 x 8 spindle. I am wondering if, in the long run it makes sense to swap out the L00 in favor of the 2-1/4 x 8. I have one 3 jaw chuck that I mounted on a L00 backplate and one L00 drive plate. L00 seems to be rare and hard to find chucks etc... any comments or ideas?

Thanks, Paul

Hi pmat, I have a heavy 10 with L00. There are plenty of chucks and backplates available for that style of spindle, from relatively inexpensive to ridiculous. Yes, they are not as plentiful as D series or threaded, but I think they are handier than a threaded. (just my opinion) Is the thru hole on the threaded larger ? Jim

You only have to find the backplates, etc., once. I'd prefer a non-threaded spindle on my 16" SB if I could afford the swap so I could electronically brake the spindle quickly without worrying about the chuck spinning itself off.

Hi pmat. The advantages of a L00 spindle are, as Thomas said, electronic braking through a VFD, and cutting internal left hand threads without worrying if the chuck will spin off the threaded spindle....Yo get those benefits with a camlock spindle as well. If the L00 has the same 1.375" through hole and is 5C collet adaptable,
there isn't any good reason to change to threaded spindle. You might lose .5" of C to C turning, but it's negligible. PB

Thanks, I appreciate the input. I thought there must be some advantage to the tapered spindle but never ran into those circumstances. So far, all of my lathe work has been pretty basic.

-Paul

Back