What's new
What's new

Trying To Identify This SB 9A Lathe Fixture

processhead

Plastic
This fixture came with my recent 9A lathe purchase. Unfortunately, some gorilla used the post as a punch and messed it up, but the base still seems OK. It has an improvised base clamp, but a new one would be easy to make.

What accessories would have been used with this? It seems "belong" with the lathe.

View attachment 22931820180523_143554a.jpg

This fixture came with my recent 9A lathe purchase. Unfortunately, some gorilla used the post as a punch and messed it up, but the base still seems OK. It has an improvised base clamp, but a new one would be easy to make.

What accessories would have been used with this? It seems "belong" with the lathe.

View attachment 229318View attachment 229319

One of the Home Shop Machinist Projects Books has something like this fixture where there is a pointer mounted on the post which can swivel 360 degrees. The pointer is referenced to a center placed in the spindle, which is then used to set the tooling to center height.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think it may clamp on the back of rear the V way to mount a collet rack

Edit It looks like somone answered the question while I was typing mine. On a 16 inch lathe the taper attachment bracket is the same bracket to mount the collet rack. I should have remembered that.

You may be able to use edit to delete your double post.

Last edited:
It's anything you want it to be...mount whatever you like on it...collet rack,light, tool tray...let your imagination run wild! :)

BTW- it would clamp to the rear v way....not between the bed.

I was thinking it may have been part of a jig for a specialized lathe operation like the swiveling pointer, but maybe it was for just for a less sophisticated use.
It appears to have the remains of SB factory paint on it.

Back