What's new
What's new

South Bend 13" Thread Dial

tommy1010

Stainless
This question is for the all knowing Vintage South Bend 13" experts. Was there ever a thread dial available for the vintage SB 13. Mine is an all original 13" chain drive with a single lever quick change gear box with a three position lever on top of it and a sliding gear out the gear guard. It has no thread dial and many people I talked to about it never seen one like mine and have no idea if it ever came with one or not. Seems all the answers I get are to let the half nuts engaged, back out and run it backwards to start over. Any Ideas?

Don't know what age yours is, suspect it's older than my 1940 13" which has a thread dial. I think there was one on ebay a few months ago, try toools 4 cheap, most of the 13" spares on ebay seem to come from him.

Can you lathe take a thread dial - are there some pre-tapped holes at the tailstock end of the apron?

Don't know what age yours is, suspect it's older than my 1940 13" which has a thread dial. I think there was one on ebay a few months ago, try toools 4 cheap, most of the 13" spares on ebay seem to come from him.

Can you lathe take a thread dial - are there some pre-tapped holes at the tailstock end of the apron?

The apron has no holes pre drilled/tapped in either end of the apron. It is a model 336-D. Any catalogs out there with that model?

If you want to add or adapt a thread dial, the only requirement is that it be for the same lead screw thread TPI and can be physically mounted to engage the lead screw. I think most SB 13" lathes use 6 TPI lead screws.

This machine has a 1" lead screw with 6 tpi. I do not see anywhere a thread dial would be mounted on the apron. This is a pretty original machine. It has a seven foot bed. Most of the original scraping marks are still on the ways. Even has the original oil dauber in the tailstock and little brass oil hole fillers on the apron. Unfortunately the original electric motor is replaced with a newer one. I a very reluctant to start drilling the apron to mount something that was not original to the lathe. I would however mount an original thread dial on the apron. This is indeed a model 386-D.

I am sure an orig looking thread dial would be easy to reproduce. Gary prob could make you a gear and i could copy my body. I have an extra apron but no extra dial. Its also drilled for the dial...Bob

SB 13 thread dial

This maybe my only option. You would have the hole dimensions and someone with a thread dial could take a picture of it and we could replicate it.

This maybe my only option. You would have the hole dimensions and someone with a thread dial could take a picture of it and we could replicate it.

I just looked at mine up close and will get a pic as soon as my camera wakes up. I could make a body with 2 pcs of bar stock and my mig welder and you would have a tough time telling it from the orig one. You would just need the dial, shaft and bottom gear and maybe Dennis could make you one of them for your leadscrew size...Bob

Well making one would be easier than i thought. Mine is welded from 2 pcs of turned bar stock too. So someone either made it or its a real SBL and thats how they did them in 1919. I don't know i have never seen another one. But my buddy in France has a 1920 and i will ask him. Pics are coming...Bob

Back