What's new
What's new

South Bend 14-1/2 Serial number location

Daughty

Aluminum
Hi guys, I've recently purchased a South Bend 14 1/2 and I'm having difficulty locating the serial number on it. I do realize it's suppose to be at the end of the ways by the tail stock, but there is absolutely nothing in regards to there being one. The only thing I have found is lower on the casting stating SN-12 14 56. Pictures are shown as well. I've circled where this number is located and started to zoom in where it is located and also showing the stamping itself. Any information on this would be greatly appreciated.

20180101_214504.jpg

20180113_091936.jpg

IMG_2614.jpg

imagejpeg_0.jpg

20180113_091856.jpg

Probably got planed during a long ago rebuild which is real good at removing serial

8183 is a tool room listed in my catalog 100-F from August 1946, so some older or some later or whatever

The 121XXX if a serial is in the 1942 range per Serial Number Reference Book for Metalworking Machinery

Last edited:
It should be between the vee and flat way, on tailstock end as you said. Usually pretty close to the two screw heads for the end bearing for main lead screw.

I never saw one stamped on the side. That number you came up with though, is very feasible for that machine's age. So maybe the machine has seen a regrind in its life and wiped out the original ser#. If correct, that ser would put shipping date between Dec '41, March '42.

Just to make sure it's between the two ways on the top left near the end. About two inches in from the end. I looked at the end for a day until I slid my tailstock forward farther. It was hiding.

I have since taken these pictures, removed the tailstock, cleaned off the entire bed length and moved the apron from front to back in search of the serial number hoping to be placed some where else on the bed. but no luck

My serno was lost after regrinding the bed ways 0.050”. Doesn’t take much to lose it. Hopefully the numbers you are finding are evidence some rebuilder thought to capture the number before it was totally lost to history.

I concur...121456 is a 1941 serial number, and is consistent with the features of you machine.

take off the lead screw bracket at the tailstock end, fair chance there is some shim material there.

Back