What's new
What's new

South Bend 15" Catalog No. 37-B

sen2two

Aluminum
15" Swing with 5' bed. Not sure what the distance between centers would be on this machine...?

So, I'm going to look at this one in the morning. And hopefully bring it home. But Google didn't come back with any information on a No. 37B

I'm trying to date the machine and find some info so I'm somewhat informed when inspecting the lathe. Anyone here have any information on this beast?

CL ad below:

15" south bend lathe engine/metal 5ft bed - tools - by owner - sale

I'm guessing it's around the same vintage as my 15" SB. Mine is ~1935. It's an older model because the oil cups are up on top of the head stock bearings instead of on the side using an oil reservoir. The serial number should be on the top of the ways on the tail stock end. Use this number and find one of the several SB serial number databases on line and that will give you a very good idea of the year. You can also get a card from Grizzly that has more info on a particular lathe. There are also SB lathe catalogs on line that might cover it. Google is your friend there...

Ted

Awesome, thank you for that PDF Link! Now, since I've never seen one of these before. What should I look to pay if it is in usable working condition?

Back