What's new
What's new

South Bend 16" Lathe Weight

toolnut

Stainless
Does anybody know the weight of a South Bend 16" x 6'bed UMD (under motor drive) lathe? I think it is about 36" between centers and has a 3 hp motor.
I am thinking about buying one and am trying to get an estimate of the shipping cost. The seller does not know the weight.

Bruce Norton
Kingsport, Tn.

Bruce, the catalog lists that lathe as having a "crated weight" of 2300 lbs. The net weight is probably somewhere in the neighborhood of 2000 lbs.

Paula

Paula,
Thanks a bunch. This means I can haul it on my tilt bed trailer which makes unloading much easier.
I have not operated a South Bend lathe but have operated Colchester geared head lathes and LeBlond geared head lathes. Do you have any thoughts on comparisons between the two? I am not running production and normally use high speed steel tooling.

Bruce Norton

I've never operated a 16" South Bend, though I have run a Colchester lathe before (13", brand new). Disregarding any differences due to age/condition, I would guess that the most noticeable difference would be that the South Bend runs somewhat quieter, due to the belt-driven spindle.

Maybe someone here who owns a 16" SB has a first-hand observation to offer.

Paula

The 16 is great, takes a good size cut without chatter, only item I don't like is the pin to disengage the spindle from the cone, its a PITA just like any other SB. The feed drive Star wheel is not as easy as the toggle lever on the newer, 1955 or so units. The only time the 9 is used is when the 16 is tied up. The controls are the same as any of the 10 and bigger SB units. It does take some effort to crank the carriage (at least from my position sitting down)lots of lube on both carriage a tailstock ways helps. Enjoy it, make chips. :D :D

my wheels don't slow me down

Thanks Tom,
I will try to buy the lathe. It is a good size, has a reasonable size motor and will fit on my trailer. thanks for the comments and pointers.
Bruce Norton
Kingsport, Tn

I have had both a SB16 and a Colchester 17 at the same time.
They really are two differant machines, being that the Colchester is a gear head lathe with much more power and at least twice the weight.
Sounds like the SB16 will work fine for you.
The SB16 would be considered a light duty machine at around 2000 lbs
The Colchester 17 would be a medium duty, as I remember about 4500 lbs
The L&S 1610 Powerturn is a Heavy duty 20hp at around 8000 lbs.
All have about the same work size capacity, big differance in cutting ability.

I have the same lathe, SB16 x 6'. Mine has the taper attachment. I scaled mine out on the truck during delivery at 2640 lbs fully equipped. This is a great lathe. I have worked as a machinist for 18 years, and this is exactly what I wanted for my home shop. I mounted mine on heavy duty metal casters so that I could move it around the shop prior to selecting the final setup location. It is still too much for one person to handle alone, even on wheels. After setting it up and doing various repair jobs and alignments it is a great performer. I will never sell it. I had planned on painting and restoring it to a like new condition, however I have been too busy using it. Good luck

wa4dc
I have the chance of either a 13 inch or the 16 inch sb for about 200 more than the 13.($1100.00)You mention that you have been a machinist for 16 years,how does the 16 inch lathe compare with other modern lathes? I am use to leblond regal lathes which I personally would rather have but the price on the sb is to good to pass up I think.
Thanks,
Dale

the difference in the sbl and a modern machine
can be summed up as maintenance. much more than
on a regal or colchester. there's no oil bath...
so , every part of the machine has an oiler.
the headstock spindle has drip cups for velocite#10. the carriage,feedbox ,ways.. take vactra 2. the cone takes grease for back-gear.

the belt needs periodic cleaning/adjustment , the spindle bearings/wicks need periodic adjustments.

like was mentioned, sbl-16" is amazingly
quiet,running about as loud as a drill press.

alothough they're somewhat dated in design,
they make up for in sheer simplicity.
if ANYTHING goes wrong , it will be blatantly
obvious.

with a few adjustments ,my machine has served me
well.

yes , i'd prefer a heavier machine sometimes,
but a light machine can be a pleasure to use.

Thanks tnmgcarbide,I ended up getting both lathes, Your right on being quiet,I did a little turning on the 13 and was amazinly surprized at how smooth the machine was,being a one mane operation I am sure my machines will get the needed attention.
Dale

Gotchips, what's your perspective on the SB 16" now that you've had it for a while? After much consideration I pulled the trigger on a 16" and will be hauling it home in pieces starting next weekend. It's about a 1943 model 117-E with roughly 60" between centers. Needs a complete stripdown--not because it's worn out but because the previous owner used it to make wooden pool cues for the past 35 years. It's covered in a thick layer of wood dust mixed with varnish.

Gotchips last visited the forum 28 March 2014

Gotchips, what's your perspective on the SB 16" now that you've had it for a while? After much consideration I pulled the trigger on a 16" and will be hauling it home in pieces starting next weekend. It's about a 1943 model 117-E with roughly 60" between centers. Needs a complete stripdown--not because it's worn out but because the previous owner used it to make wooden pool cues for the past 35 years. It's covered in a thick layer of wood dust mixed with varnish.

Back