What's new
What's new

South bend 16" lathe wiring .HELP me please.

MAKKperformance

Plastic
Hello , I would like to start this off by saying I am not a machinist by any stretch of the word. I am a race car and chassis fabricator. I do frequent this site for info a lot. So excuse me for my amateur questions. I have searched and tried to get as much info as I could. Even had 2 "electricians" come out to try to help. But here is the situation, and all of the info.

The lathe I purchased is a 1959 16" With the original Louis Allis 1hp motor. 220 3 phase , 2 speed 1760 rpm. My plan was to use a static converter similar to what I have on my mill since my shop does not have 3 phase coming in. I "think" the reason it didnt work when hooked up has something to do with the westinhouse line starter. So this is a multiple question post. Will a starter, such as that type, function with a static converter? If i understand the static converter it has to see a load before it creates the third phase?
I am considering just purchasing a VFD and getting rid of all the linestarter equipment and miles of wires. All the wiring is one color with no labels except on the motor itself. labeled as follows

T1,T2,T3, T13, 11, 12 (no letter "t" on 11,12) /continuity between 2 sets of 3 according to the fluke
I have never personally seen the machine turned on but was "assured" it worked, I think i got a pretty good deal on it so it was somewhat worth the risk. If i can use the line westinghouse linestarter with a static converter i would at least like to verify it works. If not help in identify which wires do what or the way it should be wired with VFD. OR any ideas to help verify the motor is in ok shape, before i throw more parts at it.. Thanks in advance

2015-01-14 08.59.40.jpg2015-01-14 08.57.07.jpg2015-01-14 08.59.32.jpg2015-01-14 08.59.24.jpg

Attachments

• 2015-01-14 13.21.22.jpg
    2015-01-14 13.21.22.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 161
Thanks for the advise, added. I will gladly pay some one that is wiling to help. I am very fortunate to have a full shop right now and with a baby on the way my "FREE TIME" is very limited.

bypass all the starters and hook up motor right from the converter, three hot wires in and see if motor runs.
if it runs you can hook it up with a VFD or motor starter.

Back