What's new
What's new

South Bend 16 Tool Post Holder?

Darrin64

Plastic
Looking to update my SB 16 Tool Post Holder to a quick change, Just wondering what kind and size you guys would recommend.. Kinda liking the multifix style, (larger ones that look like what Abom79 uses) though I am new to this and really don't know much about tool post except a few are way out of my budget.

I use an Aloris CXA on my 16 and am very happy. I can find the tool post and holders used, and new on sale, pretty easily. I have seen a few of the multifix style over the years, but just a few. I think those may be European made, or designed. I had a Phase II some years ago on another machine. While it worked well enough, the quality of the Aloris and Dorian is much better. Just my opinion..

Marc

I believe the Multifix is a Swiss-made post.

If they're harder to get holders for, that would be a big negative for me at least. I like things that are well supported, and Aloris type stuff certainly is.

The budget thing is why I'm still running the old lantern post. I'm using it without the rocker shoe though. The washer is upside-down and I have shims as needed to set tool height. Its a hell of a lot less frustrating than fiddle-farting around with it every time I need to adjust the angle or height.

I believe the Multifix is a Swiss-made post.

If they're harder to get holders for, that would be a big negative for me at least. I like things that are well supported, and Aloris type stuff certainly is.

The budget thing is why I'm still running the old lantern post. I'm using it without the rocker shoe though. The washer is upside-down and I have shims as needed to set tool height. Its a hell of a lot less frustrating than fiddle-farting around with it every time I need to adjust the angle or height.

There are Chinese clones for the multiplex toolholders, reports they are good.

Well, if you're using an old lantern style tool post, you really need to upgrade and see the difference. Lantern tool posts suck, IMO.

CXA is perfect for a South Bend 16". I use one on mine. I'm a Aloris believer, I use AXA on the Heavy 10, BXA on the 13, and CXA on the 16". Don't let somebody convince you to get a CA, it's way overkill. If you watch the "bay", you could probably get the toolpost for about $250, if you're not in a rush, and you can find 3 or 4 toolholders for about $50/pc. I do not own a chinese knock off, but have used one...the toolholders were a sloppy fit and there certainly wasn't a precision "feel" to any of it. Some here do say the Phase II toolpost is a pretty good post, but I cannot comment intelligently about it. Aloris parts and toolholders are readily available new if you need them, although I don't know anyone who needed parts. Get the BEST TOOLING YOU CAN AFFORD. It will hold better resale value. PB

as much as I dislike the lantern style tool post, they do have their place. There is just certain situations that I have come up against, that i could not use the Aloris style tool post. Granted they are few and far between, But they do occasionally come up. So don't get rid of your lantern style tool post. I use a wedge type Aloris style, (Chinese clone). Other than its actual size, I have had no problems with it. It is very rigid, and I have had none of the problems that have been reported by others. Maybe I was lucky and got a good one. if you have the money, buy a name brand tool post. But they can be expensive. If you are on a fixed budget like I am, the Chinese clone may not be a bad choice. Just make sure you read any reviews available for the company that is supplying it.

Stay safe and have fun.

Joe.

Well, if you're using an old lantern style tool post, you really need to upgrade and see the difference. Lantern tool posts suck, IMO.

Not gonna claim they don't suck, but at least with the shims its less awful. The shim stack took care of the chatter problems at least. Might buy a real post as a Christmas present to myself, but this will have to serve until then.

I ended up buying an Aloris CA tool post with 5 holders in great condition and works amazingly well on my south bend, no chatter at all.. :-)

Back