What's new
What's new

South Bend 16 wiring

tar356

Aluminum
I just picked up a 16, and even though I saw it run in the previous owners garage, I would still like to double check the wiring before hooking it up in my garage. I'm a little suspect because in the box on the back there are three black wires blanked off with wire nuts. Looks like they run up to the drum switch, I'll have to dig a little further to see??? Oddly, I didn't see any black wires hooked up to the drum switch....someone may have rewired and left the cut/unused wire in the conduit. Forgive me if I'm rambling...sort of thinking out loud...at work, without the lathe in front of me to describe it accurately.

Anyone have a wiring diagram? I found something on the SBL Workshop site, but it shows a half dozen diagrams based on phase, motor and switch combo.

Mine is still 3 phase, and appears to still have the original motor and C.H. drum switch up on the stalk. Serial number card shows it being built in 1941.

lathe3.jpg

Any thoughts or ideas are welcome.

Thanks,

Todd
Orange, CA

Todd,
Ironically I just finished the wiring on my 16" SBL just like that tonight. I drew this diagram to help me remember, Hope this helps you.

Attachments

• IMG_20130507_191117_261.jpg
    IMG_20130507_191117_261.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 825
  • IMG_20130507_202506_013.jpg
    IMG_20130507_202506_013.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 886
Thanks for the pictures.

After checking it out thoroughly, I confirmed some of my thoughts....the old wiring was left in the conduit adding confusion. Got rid of the old, sorted out the new, and everything is working great!

Thanks again.

Todd

Back