What's new
What's new

South Bend 16x72 on Craigslist, Portland, Oregon

Odd...
He pretty much says "don't waste my time", which is fine- but then doesn't name a price- and also says don't lowball me.

Wtf?

Odd...
He pretty much says "don't waste my time", which is fine- but then doesn't name a price- and also says don't lowball me.

Wtf?

I see $5,000 as tired-old SB price AND NOT the swing - only bed length?

I can "check" that Bullshit at my own BATHROOM door, happily "leave home without it", and go off for a six pack of chocolate milk instead!

2 each 10EE, average price under $2,000 each, one nice Cazeneuve HBX-360-BC bought from Milacron's biz persona for waay less than this optimist is asking, and him not even trafficing in junk of any kind atall. Ever!

WTF? indeed!

I had been thinking the same as you guys. No asking price. Two pics that don't show too much, but no chip pan or t/a that i can see. No additional information make it a tough sell. Besides the appearance of attitude right out of the gate.

I had been thinking the same as you guys. No asking price. Two pics that don't show too much, but no chip pan or t/a that i can see. No additional information make it a tough sell. Besides the appearance of attitude right out of the gate.

?? No asking price??

What part of that link is showing only on MY screen?

Lathe south bend - $5000 (Powell)

And THAT is ... an "attitude" if there wasn't a nasty one already!

:)

I don't like Craig's like Craig's list to sell. I had a trailer for sale and spent a whole day talking to wannabe pickers. One guy got out of his truck with two beers. He popped one and wanted me to take the other. Then he flipped his cigerett in the dry grass. Many lookers were looking at my other property with scanning eyes. There are scammers on Craig's list. He says bring 5,000 cash. No fricking way.
This guy probably stands 0 chance of selling his lathe unless he gets so one that really wants it and money is not an issue. Tooling isn't talked about.

Don kinzer
It was good of you to pass it on. I just don't trust C. L. Anymore.

?? No asking price??

What part of that link is showing only on MY screen?

And THAT is ... an "attitude" if there wasn't a nasty one already!

:)

Looks like he revised the ad, originally it was $1, you know, bait to get you to look. I was mildly interested if the price was right, but 5K, he is smoking something!

dalmatiangirl61 must have seen the thread early as well, lol. I saw it at $0 or $1 as well. $5000 cash, and it needs to go asap, oh and bring your own lifting equipment. . . easy sell, piece of cake.

Looks like a 16" to me. Around here in Seattle area this size lathe with zero tooling maybe a 3 jaw chuck are going for 2500.00 I don't like the fact this machine does not have a chip pan. It would be interesting to know what tooling comes with it. If the bed was in good shape and the lathe had all the jewelry steady rest , tool post etc it should sell for 3500 to 4000 out west here.

I made the mistake of selling a truck on Craigslist. I get the pre-barter attitude, I was blown away with how many jerks there are, and this was when CL first came out. Calls all hours of the night( even though I put times in the ad ) people that make appts and don’t show, people that show and spend forever looking and offer half. ( it was an older Toyota in great shape) I did actually sell it to a kid that offered me $100 over my asking price if it was as advertised)
Edit offer was over the phone
Never again, and certainly not anything that has people in my shop.
The truck I met at a local bowling alley, big parking lot on main drag

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

A local listing for a nice craftsman toolbox for 35 buck. I respond to set up a meeting. Her answer. Send the 35 bucks. I respond. Meet me in Troy. Her response. Send me 35 bucks and it's yours. My response, Your scamming.

The lathe guy wants you to have 5.000 cash. People get killed for less money.
It's probably all lagit and just over priced. His negative attitude could be from previous Craig's list experiences.
Don't leave yourself open for the deviant's

My 117c was made in 1942. Some things are different on his lathe. Double handle quick change on his. Mine has single lever. Thread dial is square. It could have been added later. I think the carriage looks different. Does it look right for a 117c ?g

I see it's a later model.

Looks like a 16" to me. Around here in Seattle area this size lathe with zero tooling maybe a 3 jaw chuck are going for 2500.00 I don't like the fact this machine does not have a chip pan. It would be interesting to know what tooling comes with it. If the bed was in good shape and the lathe had all the jewelry steady rest , tool post etc it should sell for 3500 to 4000 out west here.

That lathe with tooling and in great shape is worth $500-1000 tops. It's a POS, for $3500-4500 you could get a Leblond/Mori/Graziano 10x the lathe

Guessing the seller doesn't know anything about what he's selling. I've never met a machinist who didn't love extolling the virtues of his surplus goods.

Not around here maybe in bum f"""k egypt> I just looked a a ww2 Sb 14.5 had nothing for tooling and sold for 2000.00 the guy had 9 people waiting in line to buy it! hey but why is that bad it helps justify the cost of bringing some of this great old american iron back to life.

Back