What's new
What's new

Is this a South Bend 8 Junior?

arborpress

Plastic
Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum and to machining in general. I'm currently looking for a nice lathe that I can start to learn on and grow into, so I've been searching craigslist everywhere within about 6 hours from me.
Anyway, I came across this old South Bend that a person nearby is trying to sell. He's asking for $400 and that includes some extra chucks. It looks pretty complete, just unloved.
So my first question is what is it? It seems very small so my initial guess is an 8 junior, but I've been comparing it to pictures of 9 juniors and all that has done is confuse me. I can't seem to tell the difference without being able to measure it.
Anybody have any ideas?
3E93N13Hb5I35E95K3d3u70e6a168c5161f41.jpg

It seems to small to be a 9 junior, but the half nut lever has the circular ridge on it, while I don't think 8 juniors had that..

The default question on lathes that don't have the quick change gear box, is "Where is the pile of change gears that belong to this lathe". If they don't have a good answer a price of $400 is highway robbery.

I don't think that is an 8" jr. Need the serial number and look for any brass plate with model number. May be on gear cover.

As mentioned without the change gears, it is not worth 400. Change gears are expensive to buy.

Also where is the counter shaft to power it?

I will do some asking on another forum.

Ed S

I think it is a 1930 or slightly later 9 Jr. It has mounting 'feet' with bolts on the face of the headstock under the chuck. The other small SB's did not do that, and the earlier 9" Jr did not either.

if the countershaft, gears and bed feet are missing, its not worth much.

allan

I contacted the guy. He said there are a bunch of gears with it. I'm not sure if he means the change gears, but I guess we'll find out. I'm planning on checking it out sometime. He said the metal identification plates weren't on it. He wasn't sure what brand it was even. He said it was either a south bend or an atlas.

I looked at that lathe.. I did not see a pile of ears with it or the counershaft. also the compound has a chunk out of it where the dial is located. seemed to still function OK..

I dont think I would go over $200 on it and he did not seem to interested in that offer.

Back