What's new
What's new

South Bend 8'' Lathe info

jlelandthomas

Plastic
I have a South Bend 8'' Lathe that I have been seaching for toolings for but have only found a few for it I still a need a steady rest most of all but almost any thing else would make me laugh in releif it looks and has been used very little I use it often and like working with it instead of the 9 and 11 that I have does anyone have any info on it in this manner.?
Johnny in Central Florida
[email protected]:willy_nilly::cheers:

Many of the 8" South Bend lathes were Kits that were built by students. I have never seen one in person. If the bed is the same size as a 9" workshop you could just use a steady for a 9". I have a 10K steady that I use on my 9" model A, and it works fine. Gary P. Hansen

steady rest

There was a company that made steady rests for any lathe.They send you a form and you make the measurements of the machine.J C Bogeman 602 982 8436

Sorry about not getting back to you guys any faster but I did not expect help this fast as I screw up my notes alot lately
but thanks for the info I will contact them and I would like more info on any parts or tooling for the Soth Bend 8''
Johnny

The 8 Jr. bed is the same bed as the 405 workshop bed casting. SB did however add the rear V way to it when it was used on the 405. The tool makers lathe or the 20 series lathe bed is the same bed as used on the 415 workshop and later models of this lathe. Yes you could put a 9 inch workshop steady rest on a 8 Jr. but your going to be 1/2 inch to tall and will have a difficult time centering your work piece.

Turk

Many of the 8" South Bend lathes were Kits that were built by students. I have never seen one in person. If the bed is the same size as a 9" workshop you could just use a steady for a 9". I have a 10K steady that I use on my 9" model A, and it works fine. Gary P. Hansen

I have a book on constructing the kit 8 inch lathe SB offered. In no way is it anything like the 8 Jr. Garry

Turk: He just said he had a 8" South Bend. I didn't see any thing about it being a 8" JR and up until now I do not remember hearing about an 8" JR. As for using a 9" steady rest on a 8" lathe all I can say is that I have been using a 10K steady on my 9" model A for years and have not had any problems. Of course the Steady would have a slightly less capacity than if used on a 10K lathe. Gary P. Hansen

8" South Bend

For you fellows info South Bend did make an 8" lathe and here are the model and bed numbers 406-ZF 8" x 42" Bed Number is 51289 I do not know the year but a good guess is 1932 I would like to know the real year and anything else . Mine also has a builders brass tag that say's A.C.COLBY Manufacturing Co. 183 centre street New York City
Johnny:cheers:

Last edited:
John the 1931 8 Jr. does not have screw in lead screw mounts on the saddle or the compound. The lead screws are assembled into the saddle using a sleeve and a tapered pin. Same for the compound. I will say they are a bitch to take apart and re-assemble. In 1932 SB switched to the more conventional lead screw mounting using a screw in bushing on both the saddle and compound. So if you have screw in bushings the lathe was built in 1932 or 33. Also the 1931 lathes were black and the 32 and 33 lathes were the dark gray with the blue tint to it.

Turk

For you fellows info South Bend did make an 8" lathe and here are the model and bed numbers 406-ZF 8" x 42" Bed Number is 51289 I do not know the year but a good guess is 1932 I would like to know the real year and anything else .
Johnny:cheers:

8" South Bend LATHE

I guess the Ac Colby Company in New York built it from the kit as you said Dennis I didn't know it was a kit . I couldn't understand the nice brass plate with The Colby Manufacturer in New York I thought they were built by South Bend in South Bend .I wish that I had some paper work on it now I think I want to clean it up paint up and put it up for show like my engines as it kind of special now that I know more about it.:willy_nilly:
Johnny

Last edited:
Hi John

The 8 Jr. was never sold as a kit it was always a complete lathe like all the other models they sold. AC colby was a very active seller of SB equipment. I have two lathes with the AC colby tag on them and we have seen many more. I also have a picture of the AC colby store front that was taken in the mid 30's we think. I will send you a copy in a private email.

Turk

I guess the Ac Colby Company in New York built it from the kit as you said Dennis I didn't know it was a kit . I couldn't understand the nice brass plate with The Colby Manufacturer in New York I thought they were built by South Bend in South Bend .I wish that I had some paper work on it now I think I want to clean it up paint up and put it up for show like my engines as it kind of special now that I know more about it.:willy_nilly:
Johnny

You all know I am really proud of all the help that I have received and I did get a steady rest in the mail today from Mr Turk I like putting stuff together the way it should be and not using after market stuff unless it the last draw or that is the way it is .These The 8" inch South Bend lathe is really a good lathe .I have made engine parts and built kit engines of all sorts with it now I can do more if I want now that I have more tooling for it .I have a 9C and 12 also a Clark 7" I am thinking about selling the 7" Clark to make room and find a small milling Machine the older the better as long as it is all their for me finish or repair If some one has one or knows of one please yell at me
Johnny

Just a side note to this posting.

This week I purchased a second 8 Jr. This lathe is only the second 8 Jr. found with the overhead drive like the one you see on my 8 Jr. on Tony's site. The only other lathe to use this drive was the 1934 Tool Makers 9 inch. I have a really nice example of this 20 series lathe and its equipped with full floor legs as well as the only known taper attachment seen on a Tool Makers lathe.

The plan for 8 Jr. I just purchased is to use the overhead drive on the Tool Makers lathe as this addition of the drive will make a very rare lathe. Seams I have been collecting a number of 8 Jr. lathes as well as extra parts that will have to be disposed of. For one I have an extra head stock that is near perfect and would let it go to someone that needs a replacement. I also have an extra tail stock and some other parts. With the delivery of the new 8 Jr. I will have even more parts. If the lathe from California is a good one I may try and sell it complete as there are very few lathes for sale in the Northwest. For you that don't know what a Tool Makers 9 inch lathe looks like its exactly the same as an 8 Jr. one 20% larger. Side by side its hard to tell the difference between the two models.

Turk

Back