What's new
What's new

South bend 9” /10 k steady rest

Billyboyr66

Aluminum
Im watching ebay for a steady rest for my 10k, and most seem to think that the 9” and 10k are all the same. I know they use some of the same parts but anything that mounts to the bed is diffetent due to the 1/2” difference in center hight. My question is can a 9” steady rest be modified to work on a 10k?

You can machine a riser block and make one for a 9" work fine on a 10K.
The 10K ones show up on Ebay, just not as often as the 9" ones. You just have to be ready to pull the trigger when one shows up. Or you can pick up a 9" one and make the riser block, saving some money.

You can use the 9" one on your 10" lathe - the center height is not critical, as you will adjust the fingers for the center height. The only difference is that the lower two fingers will be up a bit higher than they would have been (and it's only 1/2" higher, as we are talking radius and not diameter).

Then get around to making an adapter at your leisure.

Steve

I have built up several steady rests to use on larger lathes. Sometimes it was just a riser block. Other times I built up he bottom using oxy-acy welding with cast iron rod and borax flux, re-machining the base afterwards. Sometimes I use a riser block on the flat side and build up the V side.

A spacer or riser can be made very simple. I use a South bend 9" steady rest on my Heavy Ten. I have both a 9" and a Heavy Ten both use the same 9" steady rest.
Chet

Attachments

• steady rest adapter (2).jpg
    steady rest adapter (2).jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 424
  • Steady rest adapter 1.jpg
    Steady rest adapter 1.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 1,137
Last edited:

Back