What's new
What's new

South Bend 9/10k vs. Heavy 10 Noise Level

Dan1900

Aluminum
So my heavy 10 is the 3rd SB I've owned. Before that I had a 9c and a 10k. I restored both of those before using them for a bit and flipping them until I ended up with the heavy 10.

So backstory out of the way, I've used both the 9/10k and this almost done and restored heavy 10. My question to those who have used both: am I crazy or is the heavy 10 just a bit noiser when it runs and the gears all engage? Everything is properly oiled, and this comparison is running the lathe at fastest speed.

It's likely the reverser assembly.
Or your meshing
or worn gears

drop the banjo and run it without to see if it's the reverser

use your ears not a piece of paper to set mesh.

It's likely the reverser assembly.
Or your meshing
or worn gears

drop the banjo and run it without to see if it's the reverser

use your ears not a piece of paper to set mesh.

Tried that earlier in the day, don't believe it's the reverse tumbler. It's only when I hook up the banjo that the whole thing gets a little noisy.

I am hoping it's not the gearbox but I can disassemble that if needed. I am thinking it may also be because I am running it at a high speed?

I think you'll find that the Heavy 10 is noisier because it runs the gear train faster than the 9 or 10k machines. If you'll look, the spindle gear on the Heavy 10 is much larger in diameter than the spindle gear on the 9/10K machines while the reversing tumbler gears are not much larger than the 9/10K. The result is more gear noise.

But, you shouldn't be running the gear train while on the highest spindle speed anyway.

Drop the first tumbler out on the gearbox to isolate it from the geartrain on the end of the lathe. My 10L is a little on the noisy side at high speeds. I once tried it at max spindle speed and it sounded like the world was coming to an end. The gears themselves seem to be in good shape, no excess wear, and I made sure to put them all facing the original wear direction when I put it back together. I considered taking them out and stoning the teeth to see if it would settle out some but I haven't gotten to it yet. Running way oil on the gear teeth helps silence it some, but any thicker sticky oil will do the job. Bar and chain lube is probably fine, don't use grease or it will hold chips. Mine was originally greased and the amount of trash in the gear teeth was amazing.

No experience with a 9 or 10K so I have no idea how loud they are by comparison.

The 13 is even noisier. The R and T lathes are small machines but were made for industrial use. The N and K lathes were built with home use in mind. I have used my T lathe on the highest backgear speed,it’s just noisy.

Mine does have a silent switch on it, but the machine is not so useful in that mode. Makes for nice industrial era decor though :)

mostly I just leave the geartrain in neutral unless I need the feeds. For quick or small work that doesn't really benefit from the feed it stays off.

Ok well I'm glad it's not just me. I was getting ready to take the gearbox off and tear it down completely to see if I could silence the geartrain that way. I am coming from a 10k and it was noticeably quieter when running.

Also note that personal preference, I use carbide more often than hss. So as a result I have the belt in the fastest speed and run the motor usually around 50-60 hz, close to if not the highest speeds.

I found the best solution to be what gadget mentioned, keep the tumblers in neutral unless I am doing bigger work and need the power feeds. The spindle itself is dead quite even at the highest speed when running in neutral.

Back