What's new
What's new

South bend 9 A cross feed screw dimensions ?

Roguehk

Plastic
anyone have measurements for a cross feed screw with the gear assembly that runs the power feed ?

I need to replace mine that doesn't have it with one that does.

I "could"...but first are you aware you can buy a new one? Also you can just buy the threaded portion to graft onto your existing one of all that is worn is that.

One link-
9" south bend lathe cross feed leadscrew rebuild kit | eBay

Another is Miller Machine and Fabrication-

Products – Miller Machine and Fabrication

if you decide and have the means to make your own know that the gear
Is not standard....there is an excellent write up in the noteworthy threads section -
http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/south-bend-lathes/making-new-cross-slide-acme-screw-150571/

I was going to purchase a used one off of a machine reseller but I need the correct dimensions

wait..aren't you looking into converting an older "9C"?

If so how are you addressing the non machined saddle?

A geared cross feed screw will not fit in the hole of an early "9C" because that hole was never final sized for the geared screw and may not have the opening machined on the underside either.

Also depends on whether we are talking large or small dial...that said pertinent dimension are in the thread I linked earlier.

It's a workshop to model A conversion. my saddle has the opening machined on the underside.

I was sent a picture of these that are supposed to be for an A. I just ordered the spanner on ebay and once it gets here I'll remove the old cross feed screw so I can measure it for this thread.

As of now I'm unsure which one of these will fit. Please revisit this thread next week when I post measurements of my current screw.

21427277_1835640883117467_8015553389356988283_o.jpg

Back