What's new
What's new

South Bend 9" lathe disassembly

Dmanflynn

Plastic
I posted a while back about some cheap chinese lathe and got shot down hahaha, well I saw the light and bought a southbend. Used as it is, its still a beast and seems to be in decent condition. At least good enough for me. I just got it in the house last night and am ready to start taking it apart. Its a 9" model number 9961KAR8 (was on the ways), and I need to know how to take a few things apart on it. Plenty of pictures will be taken to document the endeavor.

I need to know how to take the compound off, the carriage and the maybe the transmission controls at the front left of the machine. Also while Im here asking all these probably obvious questions, how do I get the belt off that runs from the pulleys on the motor to the headstock? Do I hammer out the pin on the big drive wheel and slide it off the shaft? Any links, help, pm's or anything from those who are well versed in southbends would be appreciated

I'd post pics but it said invalid thread.

Start in two places
The SBL Workshop - Home
and join the multiple Southbend groups on Yahoo.
There is a lot of info already available you just need to search. Plenty of info on tolerances, what you should and should not do, where to get parts etc.

to start with, the serial number "9961KAR8" indicates that you have a 10k not a nine. that is Unless the bet has been changed at some point.
go to www.wswells.com. There is a lot of information there that you will eventually need.
you can also go to lathes.co.uk to read about the history of the South Bend lathe. A lot of good information.

you will need this document. go to http://www.wswells.com/data/9_workshop/CL670Z_army.pdf, this is a US Army document for the South Bend 9 and 10K. It has a fairly good parts breakdown along with other information that you may need.

there is also someone on eBay who sells a felt wick kit that includes a good manual for disassembly and reassembly of your South Bend lathe. I highly recommend that you get this kit. it will tell you how to take your lathe apart and put it back together.

promacjoe

to start with, the serial number "9961KAR8" indicates that you have a 10k not a nine. that is Unless the bet has been changed at some point.
go to www.wswells.com. There is a lot of information there that you will eventually need.
you can also go to lathes.co.uk to read about the history of the South Bend lathe. A lot of good information.

you will need this document. go to http://www.wswells.com/data/9_workshop/CL670Z_army.pdf, this is a US Army document for the South Bend 9 and 10K. It has a fairly good parts breakdown along with other information that you may need.

there is also someone on eBay who sells a felt wick kit that includes a good manual for disassembly and reassembly of your South Bend lathe. I highly recommend that you get this kit. it will tell you how to take your lathe apart and put it back together.

promacjoe
How can I tell what model I have? I think it has a 10k headstock on it based on the army manual you linked to. Mine says cl770a on the box you change for different threads and then the 9961KAR8 on the ways.

promacjoe

Do you think that the wick kit will work for a heavy/light 10 SB lathe?
Thanks,
Jack

the serial number you posted was "9961KAR8". The first numbers will tell you when it was made, approximately 1962. the first letter "K", says it is a 10K. The second letter "A", indicates a quick change gearbox. The third letter "R", indicates it is a standard spindle. The last number is the revision number.

go to SBL Serial Number File. There's an good explanation there.

promacjoe

Do you think that the wick kit will work for a heavy/light 10 SB lathe?
Thanks,
Jack

the heavy 10 and 10K "light 10". are two different machines. They are not interchangeable. The 9" and 10K are the same basic machine. the 10K has 3/8"more half swing, and a different tail stock. the later models had a different motor drive assembly. Most everything else is interchangeable. also many of the parts for the motor drive assembly is interchangeable.

I have a 9A. I have been running a 9" over 20 years. before that I had a "craftsman" Dunlap 901, It was a poor excuse for a lathe, it's only saving grace was that it was given to me free. I have never had the heavy 10 so I cannot tell you what parts are interchangeable with what machine.

I can only say, I don't believe any of the parts are interchangeable with the 9 or 10K. I'm not sure but maybe the follow rest is interchangeable, with the 10K., But someone else will have to confirm that

promacjoe

Dmanflynn,

There's two books you'll probably need:

"A Guide to Renovating the South Bend Lathe 9" Model A, B & C and Model 10k" which has been mentioned on this thread. This is sold by stevewb. About $25.

The other book is "How to Run a Lathe". About $10

These are available on ebay and/or Amazon. I have both and highly recommend them.

Stevewb also sells specialized tools and parts for these lathes.

I've got a 10K and will be "redoing" the gearbox and apron in the near future. These SB lathes are cool machines that can last several lifetimes. No Asian junk here.

Back