What's new
What's new

South Bend 9" Lathe Oil Cups

mongo001

Plastic
I recently purchased a 9" South Bend Lathe, not sure of the model, but it's the one with the fewest options, like quick change box, power crossfeed, etc.

Anyways, when it was shipped, it was tipped over and alot of damage occurred. Most of the parts that were damaged were either repaired or replaced, but one oil cup in the headstock got crushed and I'm having a time trying to find a replacement.

My first attempt was McMaster Carr. They have a variety in stock and the 1/8" X 27TPI looked to be the one, but it's not. That is too big for the hole in the headstock The next size down, 10-32 is way too small.

Anybody know what the thread is for these oil cups. Any help would be appreciated.

I had the same problem with my 1950 9A - the apron was missing an oil cup. In general, if you want oil cups, try Gits Mfg. Co. . They actually made the original oil cups that came on my lathe, but don't list anything in #12. So I paid the long price and got one from Leblond. Despite their prices, I'm glad they still have parts available.

Good luck,
Jeff

Would you happen to have the contact info for Leblond.

Something not so funny just happened also, probably due to the drop accident in shipping. While tightening my tailstock, the piece that holds it to the bed split in half. It was probably cracked in the drop and finally broke while I was tightening it.

I'll have to see if I can make another one at work sometime soon.

Hi There,

It has been a while since I have ordered oilers from Gits but as I remember, the current replacement oiler for the headstock in the 9 inch/10K used by SBL is Gits number 1204 with a 5/16 x 32 tpi. thread. McMaster-Carr part number is: 1227K13.

Good Luck!
-Blue Chips-
Webb

I appreciate the info, but the 1/8 X 27 TPI were too large, so I'm guessing that the 5/16 would be much bigger.

I'll look into your info to make sure, though.

The smallest dia you'll find on a 1/4 NPT
tap is 0.380 or thereabouts.

Pipe sizes are for the *inside* of the
piece of pipe thus threaded. If you want
to double-check, simply mike the OD of the
exising oiler, but 5/16 sounds about right
to me.

Jim

Hi There,

I think you are getting confused between pipe threads and fastener threads. Fastener threads are the outside diameter by the number of threads per inch (English) or the pitch of the thread (metric). Pipe threads is the inside diameter of the pipe by the number of threads per inch (as Jim pointed out). Pipe threads can be of two types; either tapered or straight. Common pipe thread dimensions can be found on the web but some typical sizes are as follows:

1/16 x 27 has an OD of: .3125",
1/8 x 27 has an OD of .405",
1/4 x 18 has an OD of .540", etc.

Now the oiler I mentioned is NOT a pipe thread size. It is a special fastener size and the OD should be .3125".

I hope this is helpful. Good Luck!
-Blue Chips-
Webb

OK, that would make sense, as the 1/8 X 27 TPI oilers I bought from McMaster were pipe thread size. I check them with a pipe die to make sure. So I need a 5/16" NON-NPT threaded oiler. That should help.

OK, here's the real deal. I pulled one of the oil cups off my lathe. The OD measures 0.310-0.311, very close to 5/16" (0.3125). There are 32 threads/inch. According to my Machinery's Handbook, this is an extra-fine thread (UNEF series). So, Webb is right (as usual). Thanks, Webb.

If you find any of these other than at Leblond, please share the source.

Jeff

If somebody has a chance, could you go to www.mcmaster.com and search on part # 1227K13. It is described as an oil cup with a 5/16"-32 UNEF thread.

This really sound like what I need, but some confirmation would help out. Thanks.

BTW, I have two 1/8"-27 NPT oil cups available if anybody needs them.

Page 2007 of the 111 catalog shows a
5/16-32 threaded, elbow style oil hole
cover (that's the exact phrase they used)
that is number 1227K13 at $3.77 each.

The photo looks exactly like what I recall
my 9" SB model A having on the headstock.

There's only one in the listing that is threaded
with that spec, too.

Jim

I got the oil cups from McMaster tonight. They are the correct thread, but the reservoir on the elbow is alot smaller. Is this bad? Or does it mean I have to be more conscious of checking and refilling them? Thanks for all the help.

Hi There,

Fifteen years ago, I ordered replacement oilers for my headstock for my 9 inch from South Bend Lathe (part number: PT2676NK1). The price back then (in 1990) was $10.25 each. What they sent me was a Gits number: 1204. I found out that Gits sold that same oiler for $2.73 each (in 1993). So, later when I needed to get more oilers, I would order directly from Gits but they had a $50.00 minimum (to avoid the $5.00 "handling charge"). Therefore, I ordered a large quantity of various oilers that are used on SBL's and other pieces of machinery I have in my shop.

Later, I was "introduced" to McMaster-Carr and I opened an account with them. It was just easier to order small quantities of oilers from them. Their prices for oilers are slightly greater than ordering directly from Gits but there isn't any $50.00 minimum or $5.00 handling charges.

The Gits 1204 is the current replacement for the earlier oiler (which did have a larger reservoir) and it is what SBL will send as a replacement. The smaller reservoir isn't a problem. Most of the oil is in the headstock. The oiler reservoir is just a way of checking the oil level and adding more oil if and when it is needed. The overall change in actual capacity of the complete oiling system is negligent. So, don't worry about the smaller size. Enjoy!

Good Luck!
-Blue Chips-
Webb

Back