What's new
What's new

South Bend 9" Model A taper attachment?

alan speyrer

Stainless
After much searching, did south bend make a taper attachment for there model 9 A lathe? Seems there are lots of taper attachments for 10 and 13 inch lathe SBL, can't find any for a 9 inch lathe.

If you are not all for looks just build your own. I have some plans of different ones. I made a simple one for my 10K for 22 bucks and it works just fine...Bob

Attachments

• mla_3.jpg
    mla_3.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 3,756
After looking at a couple different plans for these, this looks like a nice simple design. There was one set of plans from an older magazine reprint the used two rods, and I never understood why it needed to be more complicated than a single rod design like your's. After looking at this pic, I'd really like to make what you've got.

A few of questions for you...

What's the diameter of the rod you used? (Assuming it needs to be pretty stiff.)

Do you have any ajdustability on the wheels/bearings?

Anything you'd do differently?

Thanks,
Jack

Look also for 10K
South Bend 9" Model A taper attachment is the same for the 10K
I have put mind on both 9A and 10K
Works great is use from time to time I bought it back 1972 new still looks new to day

After looking at a couple different plans for these, this looks like a nice simple design. There was one set of plans from an older magazine reprint the used two rods, and I never understood why it needed to be more complicated than a single rod design like your's. After looking at this pic, I'd really like to make what you've got.

A few of questions for you...

What's the diameter of the rod you used? (Assuming it needs to be pretty stiff.)

Do you have any ajdustability on the wheels/bearings?

Anything you'd do differently?

Thanks,
Jack

My rod is 7/8" i would change to 1" but my wheels were already made up.
The wheels are adjusted to fit tight on the bar with the little cam followers.
I prob would use 1" sq bar on my next one with square groove parts...Bob

Hi, I realize this is an older post, but can you send me plans to make a taper attachment form my SB 9A? It would be greatly appreciated, Thank you, - Carey

Back