What's new
What's new

south bend 9'' restoring prodject

haas34

Plastic
hello
new to this site i have a south bend lathe that has a catalog # 22zb
and a s/n 48061-A and im wanting to restore it anyone have any info on it or can tell
me where to find any i believe its made in 1931 but not sure any help would be greatly
appreciated
thank you

thank you does anyone know what the letters zb on the end of the catalog # mean and the letter A at the end of the serial number mean

ok thank so much the one i have has a counter shaft that sits flat on the table behind the lathe and the motor sits behind that i was looking to change that to shortin it up a bit so i can get mounted on a bench that is much narrower maybe 30''

does anyone know where i can get a motor mount i was interested in the one that is hinged on the bottom and sits at an angle with the motor mounting under the counter shaft
and i beleive on that one it looks like the weight of the mount is the tentionor too

Ebay has these mounts all the time. There is a turnbuckle that tightens the belt. Weight only will allow the motor and mount to shake all over the place! (My Enco does that, even with a spring to help)

My 9" has a shortened set of turnbuckle rods, so it does fit on a 30" desk top.

100_0047.jpg

Note, if you have a taper attachment, it bangs up against the motor (I have an underdrive the taper attachment belongs to. One reason why it is not on my horizontal drive.)

100_9399.jpg

John

Note that the countershaft pulley HAS to be the mate to your spindle pulley, so check the size of the steps to see if it matches your original.

If not you will need to transfer your original into the later countershaft otherwise you will be adjusting the tension for each step.

Back