What's new
What's new

South bend 9c spindle/head stock side to side play

underneath the headstock,there are two clamping brackets, each held to the headstock with a single bolt. Check to make sure you have the correct headstock clamping brackets and the bolts are tight. Note the gear should line up together when the headstock is in the correct position.

Stay safe and have fun.

Joe.

underneath the headstock,there are two clamping brackets, each held to the headstock with a single bolt. Check to make sure you have the correct headstock clamping brackets and the bolts are tight. Note the gear should line up together when the headstock is in the correct position.

Stay safe and have fun.

Joe.

I'll give it a look. Everything seems solid. I don't remember this much okay when I first put the lathe together. So I must have loosened something on accident. (But I don't recall doing anything like that)

sorry, I thought you meant that the headstock was moving on the bed. It's kind of hard to tell in that video. The Camera Is moving so much that there is not a good reference. If the shaft is moving in and out, your take-up nut on the left end of the Spindle is probably loose. The spindle is held steady only on the left side bearing. Right side bearing is left to float. Note: make sure you still have the fiber washer between the take-up not and the bearing journal. Alternatively you can use a needle bearing here. But there must be A bearing surface between the take-up not in the bearing journal. Loosen up the clamping screw, Then tighten the take-up nut until you feel drag, then back off just a little bit until it turns freely. Retightened the locking screw. if this does not fix the problem, please give us a video without all the camera movement. Focus on one spot, then demonstrate the problem. We can tell more about what's going on.

stay safe and have fun.

Joe.

Looks like there is a needle bearing between the spindle nut and the headstock bearing but either a piece is missing or the nut is not tightened enough. Take the spindle nut off completely and make sure the threads aren't damaged preventing further travel.

After taking a closer look I would say nothing is missing but the spindle nut needs to be tightened. Again, take it off and make sure the threads aren't damaged preventing you from tightening it further.

Hey all. Just an update. Tightened down the spindle nut and all is good. Thanks again

Last edited:

Back