What's new
What's new

South Bend can't give mod.

Skipster67

Plastic
I purchased a lathe for $250 and I want to make it as close to original as I can but they can't send me my serial card. Ser# 109440. J.A.N. Can anyone help is it? Thanks Skip

I would suggest you start by giving more details. South Bend made a lot of lathes. You need to mention things like center height, bed length, QC gearbox or not, etc. Photos would help also.

Go here: SBL Serial Number File

Click on the links for the "Old SN Database" and the "New SN Database" to find a listing of a bunch of serial numbers and models of existing lathes. You should be able to bracket your serial number and get some idea of how old it is and what it is.

I purchased a lathe for $250 and I want to make it as close to original as I can but they can't send me my serial card. Ser# 109440. J.A.N. Can anyone help is it? Thanks Skip

The "J.A.N." is not part of the serial number. If I remember correctly it stands for joint Army Navy. it means the lathe was used as part of the military inventory. That is probably what confused the South Bend rep. None of the South Bend lathe serial numbers contained that letter designation.

stay safe and have fun.

Joe.

Those old style serial numbers don't contain enough info for us to tell you anything other than the year. 109440 was made in early 1941.

Give us some pics or some measurements or a catalog number off the plate on the lathe, and we can help you.

allan

Catalog numbers were on a tag on the end gear cover in that era. If its missing we can probably still ID that lathe but we'd need the dimensions. The distance from the center of the spindle to the inside corner of the bed, the length of the bed casting (SBL didn't rate machines by distance between centers they measured the full bed length) and the spindle diameter and thread (assuming its a threaded spindle as most were) may also be helpful depending on model. Evidence of the machine ever having a taper attachment or collet closer would indicate that the lathe *may* have been a tool room model vs that standard engine lathe.

I purchased a lathe for $250 and I want to make it as close to original as I can but they can't send me my serial card.

Other than the year it was purchased and who bought it, you're not missing out on much; the bulk of the serial card is a collection of undecipherable and now meaningless numbers. Post a few good pictures up here, the members can tell you just about anything you might want to know. And you can put the $25 towards the tooling that you're going to need.

Paul

Why can't South Bend give you the purchase card - (maybe I missed the reason why...?)

I'd also have to disagree that the card is meaningless. The card provides info on the motor, V-belt type, Catalog #, Saddle, compound, apron. Now - a lot of these (are) in fact, numbers or codes, but they can help determine if all the parts are original and not swapped out. Also, these codes can tell a lot about the specifics of the parts themselves. I believe you can look up what the codes mean in some of the published info out there on Steve's site.

Ted - correct me if I'm wrong, please.

Older lathes are merely a ledger listing in their records. The newer lathes have the more complete info. When I ordered one for my 1920's vintage SB 8", they called and told me I would not be happy and canceled the order. Maybe they should have a $5 service for those machines... Here is the useful card for my 1958 SB 13"

6715TKX13 page 1.jpg

John

D146. and another #S101 on it. That is under the cross feed. And a 1936. On the bottom of the tail stock.

Ok guys thanks for the advice but I need more. How the world do I add pictures.

To add pictures you need to use the advanced editor. IF you click on "reply to thread" it brings you up in the quick editor. There is a button below the text entry box that says "Go Advanced" press that and a new editor opens up. Underneath the text entry box is a option to "Manage Attachments". That is where you upload and attach pictures..

Please edit your information so that your location shows up in the top left of your posts. Hard to help if we don't know where you are :)

Back