What's new
What's new

is it a south bend or clone

nav39

Plastic
I just pick up an old lathe mostly for the legs and Cushmen chuck it looks like a south bend put i think it is a clone
It has a diamond casting with the letters CMF in it and all so the name of a school in the casting
I have included some photos
Can any one identify this lathe and are any of the other part worth selling
Thanks
Larry 002.jpg001.jpg004.jpg

Yeah- that sure looks like an SB apron. How about some pics of the rest- particularly the head and tailstock. This John Swett was an interesting fellow to read about.

allan

Yes i think it is SB made before 1906 all parts are marked with jwuh and a #
here are some more photos005.jpg006.jpg007.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for all your help
I will be parting this lathe out if any one need parts for this type of lathe let me know and i will see if i have a good part
There are a lot of good parts like the lead screw it is in very good condition gears, tail stock, head stock and much more
Thanks
Larry

You will make more money with a complete lathe. Theres not much demand for the individual parts on a lathe this old. Also might be kinda interesting to keep it together, there is some history there. Perhaps a graduate of that school would be interested...

allan

Ok i am going to be selling all the parts on ebay mainly because i do not have all the parts to make a complete lathe
however the bed is a different story I think it is a south bend made for the school by SB but i have not been able to prove it
has any one herd of SB doing this in the 1920's
I will be scrapping the bed i think i can get about $25
I hate to do this but if any one would like the bed at the scrap price they are welcome to it
It is 5ft. long and can be picked up in Pleasanton Ca. or Oakland Ca. I WILL NOT SHIP IT
Thanks
Larry

Back