What's new
What's new

South Bend cross slide removal

Arbo

Aluminum
I recently acquired a SB Model A-9". I have a chance to swap the cross slide for one with a taper attachment at no cost to me. What is the proper procedure for removing the cross slide from the carriage. I really don't want to screw anything up in the process. Thanks!

Hi Arbo,

Quite simple. First remove the compound assembly. Back way out the two locking screw that hold the compound. Lift the compound off the cross slide. This is usually easy but sometimes gunk prevents the shoes from retracting and some solvent may be required. If it is hard, try rocking the compound.

Then, slightly loosen the gib screws and crank the cross slide right off the back of the saddle.

Note: It isn't absolutely necessary to remove the compound before cranking the cross slide off but I assume you want to transfer it to the other cross slide.

Good Luck!
-Blue Chips-
Webb

When you say the back of the saddle, I assume you are referring to the back of the lathe? As if you were feeding the cross slide into the work?

Hi Abro,

Yup! Some people call it the carriage but I was taught that the carriage is the entire assembly, consisting of the apron, saddle, cross slide, etc.

Good Luck!
-Blue Chips-
Webb

Back