What's new
What's new

South Bend Heavy 10 apron oil gits

JosephI

Plastic
Hi Everyone, does anyone know of a supplier or a substitute for the curved oil fill gits on the front of the apron on a SB heavy ten. There must be some other machine which uses one very close to it. South Bend says they have not had them for years. Thanks you in advance. Joe

These are not normal gits. They are manufactured with tubes which go out over the center of the gears in the center of the apron, maybe 2.5 inches long. I may have to cut the tubes and solder them on a new git if that is possible.

I just went though this on a heavy 9 I just got.

Neither of the oil fittings on the apron are stock, they're both special.
Even the one without the extension tube (left hand side) won't fit either
a right angle version or a straight version.

I wound up buying two right angle versions and rigged them to press fit into thin wall
brass tubing (required turning the OD of the spigot on the fitting, by holding it with a
mandrel into the bore of the fitting) and then pressing that tubing into the apron.

That was the only way to get the right angle part of the oil fitting from interfering with the
top of the carriage that overhangs the apron.

The half nuts oiler was tougher, I had to solder an extension tube onto the tube that
was pressed into the apron, sized to be as long as the original, to drop the oil into the
trough on top of the halfnuts.

derp, sorry, for some reason I thought you were after the ones on the headstock. I have the apron apart too, and yeah they are odd. Too many things apart in one go.

Soldering to brass tube and making your own is probably the only real solution.

Back