South Bend Heavy 10 on eBay

Artie

Plastic
:willy_nilly:This machine appears to be fully loaded on E-bay,#170511455988

South Bend Heavy 10 Tool Room Lathe

EBAY10L.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Rebuilt 10L

The subject 10L on e-Bay was on Craigslist in Virginia for some time at a price of $10,000.00.

Considering that I bought a 1985 4.5 foot hard bed 10L for $500.00, plus $200.00 more for shipping and then spent another $3000.00 and six months in my spare time on a complete rebuild (regrind bed, saddle scraping for new saddle Buck and Bison chucks, another tailstock, new isolated rubber mounted motor, all new apron parts, all new left hand side gears, all new bearings of QC gearbox (and some new QC gearbox gears, new headstock bearings and almost all other moving parts, then $5,000.00 is a reasonable price if it (maybe a big IF--I do not know). However it must really be in as new tool room conditions as my 10L now is to be valued at that price.

At least knowing what I now know I would have been better off to buy something like this and not have spend six months getting dirty and greasy.

However, considering the economic times, it will be interesting to see what it will bring. I do not expect it to bring $10,000.00.

I would be interested in what Ted P. has to say about the South Bend team that are indicated as having rebuilt this lathe. It must have happened on Ted's watch at South Bend.

In my opinion it is one thing to say that your SB will cut/turn to SB tool room lathe conditions, but it is another for it to be demonstrated that it actually does. There is the rub.

Best Regards;
Steve

Actually, I believe the guy's claims. Why? Because his listing is so obsessive and detail oriented. Let me tell you, by the "rigging" request---I doubt I would enjoy one minute of dealing with the guy for the simple reason you know there is going to either be: 1. a massively expensive rigging/shipping job 100% orchestrated by him; or 2. a massive emotional explosion from the seller that you didn't "do it right" or "follow his simple request" yadda yadda yadda. That is my honest impression from the wording of the ad. Beware mondo personality! Of course, this is all my opinion from reading an eBay listing and has the potential to be off the mark.

...knowing what I now know I would have been better off to buy something like this and not have spend six months getting dirty and greasy.

Words to the wise. Unless, of course, you are craving the experience of doing the work yourself. In my case, the last thing I wanted was a machine that someone had neglected, abused, or was just flat used up. I have plenty of "projects" as it is.

If the description for the lathe in question is accurate, I think it is easily worth the $5k starting bid, though interested bidders with the ready cash are probably scarce. Still, it only takes one.

Paula

I just rebuilt a 10L, and to call it a labor of love would be putting it mildly. Does she work perfectly now? pretty darn close. Would I sell her for 5K? Ha... No way. materials just for cleaning, repainting, new nuts, bolts and washers (even used some pretty brass washers where warranted), proper oil, shim stock, felt, cost more than the machine. My labor? Don't even ask.

The subject 10L on e-Bay was on Craigslist in Virginia for some time at a price of $10,000.00.

Considering that I bought a 1985 4.5 foot hard bed 10L for $500.00, plus $200.00 more for shipping and then spent another $3000.00 and six months in my spare time on a complete rebuild (regrind bed, saddle scraping for new saddle Buck and Bison chucks, another tailstock, new isolated rubber mounted motor, all new apron parts, all new left hand side gears, all new bearings of QC gearbox (and some new QC gearbox gears, new headstock bearings and almost all other moving parts, then $5,000.00 is a reasonable price if it (maybe a big IF--I do not know). However it must really be in as new tool room conditions as my 10L now is to be valued at that price.

At least knowing what I now know I would have been better off to buy something like this and not have spend six months getting dirty and greasy.

However, considering the economic times, it will be interesting to see what it will bring. I do not expect it to bring $10,000.00.

I would be interested in what Ted P. has to say about the South Bend team that are indicated as having rebuilt this lathe. It must have happened on Ted's watch at South Bend.

In my opinion it is one thing to say that your SB will cut/turn to SB tool room lathe conditions, but it is another for it to be demonstrated that it actually does. There is the rub.

Best Regards;
Steve

No, it didn't happen on my watch. My watch ended long ago. But I do know all the guys that were involved with this rebuild and you can rest assured that this is a good one.
$5000 is a screaming deal for this one with all that comes with it. It won't sell for that(notice he does have a reserve). He spent way over $10,000 for just the rebuild.
BTW: If more than one person wants it, I know where to get another one:D
Ted

My 10L is on a cabinet just like the one in the picture. I have often wondered if mine should have the SB logo somewhere on it. Now seeing that really made me wonder? Is that original to the heavy 10's on that style of cabinets? If so is that the correct location and are they available for purchase?

Thanks,
Eddie

So the SB logo decal was not originally on those cabinets anywhere back when these lathes where new.

Can they still be purchased for whatever reason?

So the SB logo decal was not originally on those cabinets anywhere back when these lathes where new.

Can they still be purchased for whatever reason?

Yes, if you check out the bench legs or cabinet threads Papa G (new owner of South Bend) makes reference to the fact that they are for sale.

It's a brass plate....

Back