What's new
What's new

South Bend Heavy 10 spindle shims

FSH

Aluminum
Hello I just finished machining some shims for my South Bend Heavy 10 and I was considering selling sets for around 15.00. I had a set of original shims that came with my lathe and was quite surprised at the rough nature of their profile. I attached some photos of the rear shims. My set would include shims for both front and rear. I would appreciate any thoughts on this, including price and demand. Thanks

Attachments

• P1010479.jpg
    P1010479.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 1,673
  • P1010480.jpg
    P1010480.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 1,274
I think it's a great idea. Also, the price seems fair for the product - AND your skill as a machinist. This wouldn't be something you'd get rich from, but it would certainly be a trickle business and you'd be providing a great service for the ever-growing community of South Bend enthusiasts.

are they made from laminated stock? (.002 laminations) Mcmaster sells it.
it`s a good idea as i have heard that the pre-cut ones you can currently buy are of poor quality.

i think your price may be a little too low to be sustainable. good looking shim though, nice work.

pricing

are they made from laminated stock? (.002 laminations) Mcmaster sells it.
it`s a good idea as i have heard that the pre-cut ones you can currently buy are of poor quality.

i think your price may be a little too low to be sustainable. good looking shim though, nice work.

I appreciate your candor on the price. I am planning on using laminated shim stock, but due to material price I was heavily considering laminated aluminum shims instead of brass, though I think aluminum might be a pitfall for some enthusiast. Thanks

while i have no experience w/laminated aluminum shims it seems like .002" aluminum would be kind of weak and and hard to peel off without tearing?? maybe i`m just thinking aluminum foil??

i think there would be a decent enough demand judging from what i`ve pulled from the headstock of 9" machines- razor blades,feeler gauges,beer cans,paper,plastic,matchsticks, alum. foil, broken drill bits and anything else that someone can jam in there. occasionally i`ve even found a real shim stack.
i had one once that someone had used makeshift "wedges" and adjusted the bearing by how far they drove the wedges. not sure about the stability of that arrangement...:)

put `em on ebay and you`ll sell a million! well, no gaurantees on that.

Your work looks vey good.

I also would prefer brass shim stock. I'll buy a set if in brass.

Let us know what the price will be in brass and if shipping to the lower 48 is included in the price or if a shipping fee is required also.

Respond with these details and I will place an order with you.

Thanks FSH,

Vlad

I too am interested in some shim sets. I agree brass would be good. but I will take what I can get.

John

shims pricing and size

I should have tooling completed in about 45 days, I am going to make the shims as follows one .011 one .010 and one .016 x .002 laminated, this stack up should allow you to achieve .027 and go down incramentally .001 to the minimum of .008, pricing is up in the air because it seems that peple really want brass instead of full hardaluminum shims

Is there any reason not to use plastic shim stock along with brass? If one is aiming for 0.001 to 0.002 clearance, it would seem like a good idea to have a 0.0005 shim, and I've only seen that in plastic in small sheets or assortments.

dsymes

FSH sent me the initial shims that he made, to try out on my 10L rebuild. I can say that I was very pleased with the quality of workmanship. All the edges were clean and deburred and holes for the bolt and dowel pins fit perfectly. These are a great deal and thanks to FSH for providing these to the South Bend community

FSH,

I would like two sets as you describe in your post #15. Please let us know when they are available, and the price. Thanks.

Luddite

Back