What's new
What's new

South bend heavy 10l spindle shims

FSH

Aluminum
Hello everyone, I am having a sale on my shims. 40.00 Paypal or USPS money order shipped, and the bronze thrust bearing for 10.00 instead of 16.00 if you buy it with a set of shims. Please contact me at [email protected] or call Greg at 714 584 4FSH. The sale will last until April 30, don't hesitate because once there gone it will take weeks to restock. Cheers

What is this bronze thrust bearing of which you speak? That replace the phenolic one on the outboard side of the rear bearing? I just put the gear back on the spindle after rebuilding the spindle using your shims. Benefit of the bronze one?

2.jpg7.jpg
Here are a few photos. Oillite bronze captures oil ad distribute it thruougt the entire surface, and is an upgrade from the stock steel or phenolic thrust washers that came on South Bend Lathes

Attachments

• 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 367
Excuse the bump (I am in round #2 of "collect together 10L stuff in US and ship to Oz in one go"). Open question. Anybody know if the shims are the same between older plain bearing and newer types?

As a note at the link below I found that my plain bearing machine ran with about 0.0015 thou clearance with a 0.027 shim stack. Larger than the max 0.021 of the above shims. My machine may not be like all others so I have no idea whether this is definitive and the same for all plain bearing 10Ls, but just adding to the pool of knowledge:

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/v...own-inspection-290320/index7.html#post2532613

I would be interested in looking at the bearing caps off of a plain bearing 10L; I was also thinking of upping the total thickness to .030 on the next run.

If you are happy to provide a template or I guess even just the base metal shim or whatever, I am happy to line things up and provide some photos on my 10L plain bearing caps. I've got a new cone pinion on the way from Ted so I'll be needing to get the spindle out again when it arrives. PM me if your interested.

Hello, thank you all for the business! I will be concluding my sale on the 30th of April, so if you need shims please contact me by the end of this month. Cheers:D

Thanks for your post. I am in the process of making of purchasing new shims for my heavy 10L. I needed a starting point. Your post has been helpful.

Back