What's new
What's new

south bend help.

bridgeport13b

Aluminum
Hi my buddy has a south bend lathe that is about 8 foot total length and he was using it to polish crank shafts. anyways the lathe is pretty old as it has a overhead motor with the wide flat belts. Anyways I am going to take a better look at it today as well as get the serial number so I know what machine it is. Is there any problems with the older machines and what is some things to look for when buying a old lathe, keep in mind I am new to this.
Thanks
Richard

Sorry for taking long on the pics but here is some pics of what I was able to get a pic of. Is the lathe a good lathe for starters also it is $200. BTW I was looking for a serial number and all I can find is a number 8778.
Thanks
Richard

plenty of problems with old lathes
but if there is some tooling to go with it, 200 bucks is a cheap way to learn to work around the problems or learn to solve them

i noticed the handle and screw of the compound are missing
make sure all parts are there, else leave it where it is

There is some tooling as long as a bunch of gears and the compound parts are there. The guy I am getting it from was taking it apart for painting. But I checked the ways and they seem to be in really good shape. BTW I think the lathe is a o series lathe 13''x 6.
Thanks

Those are fine lathes but change gears are hastle for threading.

We picked up a 16x54 version for 200 years ago and sold it for 600.

Buy it and learn with it.

Tooling for it will likely work on your next one...there will be more...

Hi is there any way to convert it so I can have the quick change set up. Also if I were to get it and use it and maybe upgrade in the future are these hard to re sell.
Thanks

Just another question how accurate are these old machines. I plan on using it mostly for turning drill rod. I need to turn drill rod to 20mm so what I want to know is can I accurately turn a bar to 20mm.
Thanks

Hello bridgeport13b,
That lathe will be as accurate as you are. As you gain experience it will get even better. Think of it as a kit lathe that needs your attention but can help you learn a new skill. The price is right too so have fun.

Gary

Hi Gary just one more question from the pictures I have posted do you think it is a o series lathe. Also is the 8778 number the serial number.
Thanks
Richard

I'd jump on that machine at that price, remember you can always part it if it's unsavable an usually make a bit of profit towards a better machine, but if it's all there and has some tooling I don't think it will come to that.

Hi all thanks for the responses I will try to get some more pics but I think I am going to just get it as it comes with tooling and all the gears for what I believe is power feed speed, correct me if I am wrong.
Thanks
Richard

Just another question, since this machine is pretty old what material/kind of head stock bearings will it have. Also are they replaceable if needed.
Thanks

Back