What's new
What's new

South Bend Jr spindle gear removal.

Mgrder1

Aluminum
Hey guys...started restoring my SB Jr lathe today and I'd like to know how to remove the spindle gear...I hope I'm calling it by the right name. It's the gear that's on the outside of the take-up nut. I can see a key way on it which lead me to be its a press fit...I put my gear puller on it and cranked on it until I felt like I was about to break something so I backed off and here I am. Also, the bull is a press as well, correct?

No, no felt any where actually accept for the carraige feed gear spindle. You pressed the spindle gear off if a 9" JR, correct?...I'd hate to bust the gear, just want to make sure.

For the spindle gear, I used a bearing spitter and the puller attachment. I put a piece of 1/2 alumimum flat stock on the end of the spindle 1)to protect it and 2) to give the puller screw somewhere to push against. After I was able to remove the spindle gear, the take up nut, bushing, and cone pulley slide right off. After all that was removed I was able to put the spindle and bull gear in my arbor press. I put a folded up towel on the floor incase I dropped the spindle (thankfully, I didnt).

Last edited:

Back