What's new
What's new

South Bend Lathe 13 inch swing by 6 foot

illbeda

Plastic
I just picked this up today from the Truck Terminal here in Las Vegas.It came from Ohio.
Its a South Bend "13" inch with serial number:C1 114257.

It has some smaller Letters below the main serial number.I don't have a clue but maybe its
the person's Initials who did the final inspection?Im just guessing.

Someone gutted the QC gear box,shafts,gears,levers.Im looking for some parts for this guy,he's missin a few teeth.:ack2:

Its also missing the wedge clamp,bolt and nut to hold the tailstock in place.Just piddley stuff really.
I was told the motor ran,he was honest through the whole process so I have no reason to doubt him.

Its also missing the Knob pinion,Sliding gear, and slide gear shaft on the main gear bracket.

It's been sitting for quite sometime you can tell.The mice had made a nest in the lower section where the motor
is housed,right behind the pulley unit.

If anyone out there has more information as to the year this was produced would be cool and appreciated.
I also need a few parts,maybe someone has a lead on some,which would be really cool.

Attachments

• South Bend 13 x 6 foot 12-2-2014 001.jpg
    South Bend 13 x 6 foot 12-2-2014 001.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 1,118
  • South Bend 13 x 6 foot 12-2-2014 003.jpg
    South Bend 13 x 6 foot 12-2-2014 003.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 2,502
The serial number is 114257. The 'C1' is in a different font, and was probably added by a later owner. The small letters seem to be some sort of inspector. Various of those appear on similar age lathes. This lathe was built in July of 1941.

I had a Heavy 10 in similar shape, and I converted it to double tumbler gearbox. Those parts are newer and easier to find, and its easier to make odd thread pitches or metric threads.

allan

Nice looking lathe & shouldn't be too hard to put back into service. I like the 13" size.

I may have a tailstock wedge that is from a SB13. I don't have the nut or bolt, but those are easy to source locally. It may be from a 9 as I have several 9" and 13" lathes in various stages. I'll look tonight when I get home.

Len

You might also keep an eye on E-bay. People do part these machines out form time to time, I know I have seen complete gearboxes several time. (Might be best to just buy the whole box). There is a double tumbler on there as we speak.
But, as a rule of thumb, any deal you get here is probably going to be a better deal, and most of the folk you'd buy from are not in it as a business, plus, this is more of a "community" where people like to keep a good reputation.

Contact Joe at Plaza Machinery as I know he has lots of used South Bend parts so you may be able to get all the parts you need to convert your lathe to a double tumbler quick change gear box. He will likely have most of the other pieces you are missing. He is hard to get by phone so use email and give him a few days to reply.

Bruce

No luck on the tailstock wedge. It's for a 9". If you do decide to convert to a double tumbler, I would be interested in purchasing the single tumbler housing from you if it becomes available.

For anyone following along who might have something ratholed. I would like a 13" single tumbler housing for a side project. Levers would be nice, but not 100% necessary. No gears at all needed. Sad Bastard condition fine as well as I'm going to cut, grind, & otherwise chop it up some. Would prefer a SB, but possibly any QC housing from an appropriately sized lathe could work such as a Hendey, Logan, LeBlond, etc.

Just PM me if you have something that might work.

Lenny

Thanks,
Ive seen Lathes in much worse condition for sure.The guy had it listed on ebay and I just offered to buy it from him and he accepted.Very cool dude and knew how to palletize a Lathe.I paid $350.00 for the Lathe and $25.00 for the pallet work.No chucks.A tool post holder and 1 Straight holder,thats it.
I picked up a wedge that's from a different lathe here in Vegas.A place called Hanna tools is selling off all of its inventory over the last 40 years in business.They are having a sale this coming Saturday 12/6/14 and everything goes.
I couldn't find anything for my South Bend!

Missing parts on the South Bend "13"

I just picked this up today from the Truck Terminal here in Las Vegas.It came from Ohio.
Its a South Bend "13" inch with serial number:C1 114257.

It has some smaller Letters below the main serial number.I don't have a clue but maybe its
the person's Initials who did the final inspection?Im just guessing.

Someone gutted the QC gear box,shafts,gears,levers.Im looking for some parts for this guy,he's missin a few teeth.:ack2:

Its also missing the wedge clamp,bolt and nut to hold the tailstock in place.Just piddley stuff really.
I was told the motor ran,he was honest through the whole process so I have no reason to doubt him.

Its also missing the Knob pinion,Sliding gear, and slide gear shaft on the main gear bracket.Ive added some more pictures to show the missing parts.

It's been sitting for quite sometime you can tell.The mice had made a nest in the lower section where the motor
is housed,right behind the pulley unit.

If anyone out there has more information as to the year this was produced would be cool and appreciated.
I also need a few parts,maybe someone has a lead on some,which would be really cool.[/QUOTE]

Attachments

• South Bend Gear Cluster 003.jpg
    South Bend Gear Cluster 003.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 1,014
  • South Bend 13 x 6 foot 12-2-2014 005.jpg
    South Bend 13 x 6 foot 12-2-2014 005.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 1,003
  • South Bend 13 x 6 foot 12-2-2014 010.jpg
    South Bend 13 x 6 foot 12-2-2014 010.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 462

Back