What's new
What's new

South Bend Lathe 39344 Help

hollthedoll

Plastic
Hello! My husband and I are looking for some guidance on a South Bend Lathe we have sitting in his dads shop. They would like to sell it but we have no idea what to ask for it. Any help would be appreciated. I'm new to using a forum so please bear with me! Thanks in advance.

Here is what we know: South Bend Lathe #39344
50" long rail, 9 foot total in length, 3 phase power
20170830_170626_resized.jpg
20170830_171323.jpg
20170830_172313.jpg

Attachments

• 20170813_095019_resized.jpg
    20170813_095019_resized.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 228
  • 20170830_171035_resized.jpg
    20170830_171035_resized.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 188
Looks rough from here but could be a cream puff..over head motor machines are harder to sell thinking so 500 to $1000
but you may end up paying some one to haul it away.
..It will look better if you oil rag wipe it down, pick chips out of places and oil both ends of the head stock.Take chuck key out of chuck

Use lub oil in the head stock..3&1 oil is ok if you have none better. Don't use car engine oil.

Buyer should pull motor or likely to dump it

Looks rough from here but could be a cream puff..over head motor machines are harder to sell thinking so 500 to $1000
but you may end up paying some one to haul it away.
..It will look better if you oil rag wipe it down, pick chips out of places and oil both ends of the head stock.Take chuck key out of chuck

Use lub oil in the head stock..3in1 oil is ok if you have none better. Don't use car engine oil.

Buyer should pull motor or likely to dump it

Thanks for the advice!

It is a South Bend Series O 15 inch or 16 inch lathe made in the middle of 1928. Looks reasonably complete, but still old and slow. I'd concur with that $500 to $1000, more if you have some tooling that goes with it.

allan

We plan to go out this weekend and try to clean it up a bit. We posted it on a Facebook site asking $500 someone offered $250 and we weren't sure if that was a reasonable offer or someone trying to lowball. We have a box of tools that came with it, I would post the photos but like I said I'm new to this forum stuff and can't figure out how to add them from my phone. Thanks again guys!

Missing the tumbler lever...And who knows what's inside the gearbox...

tobnpr................
South Bend Lathe .jpg
You did not look at the fourth photo in post #1. The tumbler lever is disengaged.

Hollthedoll, don't know which part of Illinois you are located in. Check craigslist for the Chicago area. I have seen listings for SB lathes for
$1,200 and up in similar condition.
Aside from the cosmetic appearance you have a lathe that might be in good running order. $250 is a lowball.
John

I’d say become very well acquainted with green (dollar store) Scotch Brite pads and light machine oil this weekend. Nothing overly abrasive on any of the machined surfaces, just some elbow grease to brighten up the chuck, the hand wheels and the ways, then wipe it all down with oil.

If you get ambitious in the dirt and grime department, be sure to dry and oil anything you get wet. (No oil on the pulleys or belt)

It looks like the gear shift tumbler lever is pulled out and hanging down. If so, try without forcing it to maneuver it back into place.

It might take awhile to sell (or maybe not, you never can tell), but I wouldn’t take anything less than $500 for it. You have some tooling, a chuck with a key and potentially an extra set of jaws, a threading dial, and a steady rest which by itself might be worth between $100 - $300 alone.

Without actually inspecting the machine in person, or at least many detailed close-up well lit photos, it’s hard or outright impossible to truly evaluate the mechanical condition, but on the surface it looks like an old South Bend that needs some oil, some power and some love to serve it’s next owner well.

I am in IL as well. If you are close I will gladly share with you some of the more or less recommended oils for each part of the machine.

Thanks

I see the tumbler lever now. It's odd to see it dropped out while the notched retainer plate at the bottom of the gearbox is in place. On my SB you need to remove the plate for this, and assuming that's the case here the plate was removed, timber dropped and then the plate replaced.

Personally, I'd be interested in seeing the condition of the front v-way for a couple of feet in front of the chuck. If there's a significant wear ridge, value is shot as most anything else can be repaired, bought or made. Bed wear, if substantial, can severely affect potential accuracy and value along with it.

Really needs a cursory inspection by someone that knows what to look for to get an idea of condition/value- including a peek into the gearbox.

Hollthedoll,
Do you still have this thing in pieces? If so, there are some measurements that I’m in desperate need of.

Back