What's new
What's new

Got a lathe! What did i get?

MKEnative

Plastic
Greetings all, I'm looking for some expertise. I purchased this out of storage, was initially planning on flipping it but now I'm thinking about hanging on to it and working with it. I found an old manual to find out how to lube it up. I ran it for a couple seconds just to make sure it worked but don't want to run it without being properly oiled. 2 questions...1) What did I get? Definitely a South Bend. Serial number is 13874RKL16. Looking it up I believe it has a 10" standard swing, 4' bed, QCG, FFA, UMD with a large spindle hole, model #16. Is this accurate? Any problem points I should check out? OK, that was more than one question. If I were to sell it what should I be looking for? Thanks all,

Ryan20170321_141320.jpg20170327_154526.jpg20170327_154617.jpg20170327_154745.jpg

Ryan,

When I contacted you on Friday via your craigslist ad you left me with the impression that you would contact me today and we could get together today because this machine was at your place of work. At the time you did not list an asking price in your ad. After several emails you responded to me today saying you were taking offers of over $2000, and that you were taking the apron apart to inspect the crossfeed. Then after that you add a price to your ad of $3500 and then post here asking about the value of the lathe. I can understand that you are probably unfamiliar with this machine and not sure of it's value, but bouncing around like you have is not the way to get this accomplished.

You were able to find some info by looking up the serial number, that info contained what you need to find similar machines that have sold on eBay, and on this site, for some comparisons. As I indicated in my last email, I think you are hurting the value of the machine if you start taking subassemblies apart to try to answer the questions of potential buyers.

To specifically answer your questions, it is a 10L with a 4 foot bed. The greatest areas of concern to someone in your position are the condition of the ways, lead screw, cross and compound screws, along with play in the spindle bearings. Showing the accessories and tooling you have is helpful.

Good luck.

Marc

Just out of curiosity, do you have some background in machine work/ hobby machining. Reason I ask, if not take care before tearing into it other than cleaning. Good luck with your new purchase.

Your area $1500 in good to better condition ,here in Phoenix [lathe desert] $2000-2200. $3500 wishful thinking unless as new .

Thank you kitno455, v8packard, hodge, and johnevans for your input and expertise. I am mechanically inclined, but I needed a jump-start to start looking in the right direction. I look forward to being a part of this forum, hopefully as a contributor in the future!

Back