Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Jersey
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The movement of the spindle in/out honestly isn't that critical. The running loads push it towards the gear end of the machine, and there is a thrust bearing back there to carry the load. On the back side under the take-up nut is a washer. It has to have some amount of movement in there or the washer will get chewed up. Yours may be a little excessive but don't make it extremely tight either.

Dissassembly is the best way to paint it if you want it to really look nice. If you replace the wicks, it needs a good amount of teardown. Thats the time to do the paint job if you're going to do it.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'm just gonna play with it right now.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Pysiek View Post
    I saw a lot of guys used Purple Power. Can I use that?
    It will probably eat some of the paint. I would just use some simple green and clean it, put it to work.

Nice looking lathe, just needs a bit of cleaning and oil from the looks of it.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Gotta say, I am a bit perplexed by the overwhelming "oil it and make chips" recommendations for an old SB lathe of completely unknown history and maintenance.

The SB I bought a little over a year ago was of the same "unknown" category (bought from an estate). Had I just filled the reservoirs, it would not have been long before I would have causing expensive damage. The complete teardown/rebuild revealed all the wicks were solid black and hard as rocks- they would have moved zero lubricant to all the places that require it.

South Bend (according to the Ilion manual) recommended these lathes be torn down and wicks replaced every 7-10 years.

This may be inconsequential to the OP since it was bought for a song (if in good condition) and he can always decide to run it until it grinds to a halt; but he should know that these old total-loss oil lathes rely on oil consumption like a truck needs gas.

5. Likes johansen liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yes mine too was sitting and dry. I re-re all the wicks, adjusted the spindle bearings before I ran it as well. It had broken tumblers so I knew it was a project before I started.