What's new
What's new

South Bend Lathe Indexing Attachment Identification?!

zbls2121

Plastic
First time poster, been prowling for a while (owner of a 1967 South Bend 9x36" lathe).

I came across an old Heavy 10 being junked (it was well worn).

I was not able the save the lathe, but was able to grab some stuff from the drawers.

One of the items I recognized was and indexing wheel set (with arm).

I don't think it fits this lathe as the 3 mounting holes and the center bore are larger thane the 5C collet draw bar mounting dimensions.

45, 56, 60, 64, 72, 80, 84 and 100 index count wheels.

Maybe someone here can help figure out what the guys go to? Maybe a larger South Bend? Perhaps there is another method of attachment than the collet bar?

I can provide bolt hole location dimensions as well as anything else a caliper can pick off to help?

Pictures below.

IMG_20170903_200912478_small.jpg

IMG_20170903_201648013_small.jpg

IMG_20170903_201749884_small.jpg

IMG_20170903_200924053_small.jpg

My Lathe---------------------------

IMAG1490_small.jpg

Last edited:
Welcome to PM.

Nice looking 9a. Hopefully some of the more knowledgeable members can identify your part.

Check out this link from Tony's UK Lathes site.

http://www.lathes.co.uk/southbend/page9.html

I believe the RKL P/N suffix would indicate it fits a Heavy 10L.

I sure would like to find a set for my 16" machine for carriage slotting operations. If you don't get any offers from 10L owners, let me know. I'm sure I could figure out how to adapt it as I'm already adapting a JFK 5C lever closer to the machine which requires a custom spindle extension.

Check out this link from Tony's UK Lathes site.

http://www.lathes.co.uk/southbend/page9.html

I believe the RKL P/N suffix would indicate it fits a Heavy 10L.

I sure would like to find a set for my 16" machine for carriage slotting operations. If you don't get any offers from 10L owners, let me know. I'm sure I could figure out how to adapt it as I'm already adapting a JFK 5C lever closer to the machine which requires a custom spindle extension.

When I was researching these indexing wheels, I came across that accessories page (I had frequented the lathes.co.uk site for many months before acquiring my 9a).

Other than the picture and the wheel index count I wasn't able to locate much.

I agree, with some easy lathe work (!) you could make an adapter.

My lathe at home has been extremely useful, however I don't think an index setup will further its use and I feel someone else would like to have a set, plus the extra cash in hand to further fuel my hobbies is always nice.

If anyone has an idea of rough worth or wants to make an offer, feel free to let me know.

Thank you for the input!

hm, must be a clamp attachment of some sort that goes onto the back end of the spindle stub for that to work. Probably nothing you couldn't turn out relatively easily, even for a different size lath.

Back