What's new
What's new

South Bend Lathe Rebuild Books & Kits - NON Ebay

SWBrooks

Cast Iron
Quick note to all fellow PM members who have been emailing and sending private messages asking us for South Bend manuals and parts kits that do not wish to go through ebay. The rebuild manuals and parts kits have all been moved to Amazon.com as of this week for your convenience. I do apologize for posting here but it was the best place to reach all of those on the forum that have been asking. Best Regards, Steve

Combo ABC A New.jpg

Quick note to all fellow PM members who have been emailing and sending private messages asking us for South Bend manuals and parts kits that do not wish to go through ebay. The rebuild manuals and parts kits have all been moved to Amazon.com as of this week for your convenience. I do apologize for posting here but it was the best place to reach all of those on the forum that have been asking. Best Regards, Steve

View attachment 178351

Best of luck, Steve! I can't say enough good things about mine. It made a difficult restoration possible for a first-timer like me.

Indeed, the one I bought for my 10L was a tremendous help in making sure I had all the parts and information needed to get it working properly.

One more endorsement for your 9A book and rebuild kit! I found the instructions and illustrations extremely useful.

However, sometimes simple instructions like "remove," as in the case of some taper pins, took hours to accomplish. :)

Thanks very much everyone. The kind words are sincerely appreciated. I enjoy working with all the members here and try to accommodate.

I like the analogy on the taper pins. Kinda like "Put bacon in pocket, enter cage and carefully remove bear" That's why we ended up adding a section to the appendix on those little tapered buggers. Drill baby drill.

Best Regards, Steve

Do you have a book that covers "O" series lathes before the more popular workshop series were introduced? I had bought one of your kits and book when I got my model c, but have just picked up a 1928 and don't believe this type was covered in the other book. Gearing and gearbox is different as well as the head stock, bearings, apron, ect., ect.

Thanks.

Good afternoon and thanks for the note Rodm. The Series "O" of the late 20's and early 30's is most like the later 10L's, 13's etc. The one book we have that covers these later models will be useful but is by no means an exact match for your needs. For instance many components of the apron will have identical functions but the design and layout will look different. In the series "O" there was no oil reservoir in the bottom of the apron with wicks to constantly lubricate everything but since the "O" used direct oiling through access ports on the front of the lathe, it accomplished the same thing. Same for the headstock, no capillary oilers there to keep the spindle lubricated continuously, just oil cups that you top off each time before you use it and it gradually ran out over time. If you understand the design and function of the later models it is only a short step to understand the earlier models since many of the alterations SBL did over time were to make the lathe design more robust, more forgiving and less likely to be damaged from improper lubrication. The book does cover the single tumbler gearbox which is the earlier version most like the series "O", and since that is one of the more complex parts of the lathe, this is where you would get the most benefit. You might also do a search here on PM as I believe I've seen a pretty good write-up on the series "O" gearbox around here somewhere. Best Regards, Steve

Thanks Steve.
Unfortunately, the information seems scattered and bits here and there.
Regardless of keeping things simple, I am going to have to pull most components apart for cleaning and hope to document most of it in the thread I started. Not only do I hope to get info from the experienced, but hopefully help someone else who finds themselves in a similar situation. Rarities are extremely interesting, but generally require the most research, time, and diligence.

Back