What's new
What's new

South Bend lathe value

wschock

Plastic
Hey guys, I am new to the site and I am in the market for a lathe. I am also new to machining and have almost no experience, just a strong fascination for turning a hunk of metal into something useful. Anyway, I found whats advertised as a South Bend 12 quick change gear lathe that is going across the auction block this saturday. I am hoping for a little advice on what I should pay for it if i decide to buy it. This lathe is in central indiana. I know without inspecting the ways and being able to turn handles and see how it all feels you guys wont be able to give an exact number, I am just looking for a ballpark figure. The link to the auction is posted below. Take a look and let me know what you guys think. Thanks. http://www.auctionzip.com/cgi-bin/auctionview.cgi?lid=2990616&kwd=&zip=46173&category=0

I looked at the photos of the auction, {not much information on the lathe} lathe looks like a 13 inch to me. Can you look it over first before the auction.?

I'd be pretty comfortable bidding up to $750 on that. It looks pretty rough, it's a single tumbler model and it's a short bed.

Hey guys, I am new to the site and I am in the market for a lathe. I am also new to machining and have almost no experience, just a strong fascination for turning a hunk of metal into something useful. Anyway, I found whats advertised as a South Bend 12 quick change gear lathe that is going across the auction block this saturday. I am hoping for a little advice on what I should pay for it if i decide to buy it. This lathe is in central indiana. I know without inspecting the ways and being able to turn handles and see how it all feels you guys wont be able to give an exact number, I am just looking for a ballpark figure. The link to the auction is posted below. Take a look and let me know what you guys think. Thanks. http://www.auctionzip.com/cgi-bin/auctionview.cgi?lid=2990616&kwd=&zip=46173&category=0

Older. Very short bed. Probably a small spindle.
Might be nice...or a money pit :cool:
I have a nice Heavy 10 for sale in South Bend. More money, but it doesn't need anything(except paint, if you are into that)
Ted
[email protected]

A lathe can look pretty bad and still be good. I think it is a 13" too. There is not much tooling with the lathe, all I see in accessories with the lathe are a lantern tool post and a rusty 4-jaw chuck. The chuck on the spindle looks newer so that is a plus.

If you scan the other photos you will find two collet sets and one looks like 5C. There may be a collet draw bar and hand wheel somewhere, might also be a bunch of other accessories scattered. I would find someone local who knows lathes to help identify the accessories scattered and plan on getting those too. The accessories are generally worth more than the lathe. Accessories and parts for that lathe should be easy to find but best prices will be had at that auction and it is a pain tracking them down on places like eBay.

Do you have auction experience? Most likely the accessories will be sold befor the lathe. The risk is owning a lot of accessories without getting the lathe they go with.

Check the electrical too, could be single or three phase.

I have a nice Heavy 10 for sale in South Bend. More money, but it doesn't need anything (except paint, if you are into that)
Ted [email protected]

It's worth a trip to Ted's place just to see all the factory special mods he has on his lathes. :)

BTW, after spending a lot of time on paint on my resto, I'm not so into it anymore other than as a rust preventative in the areas that don't get slathered with oil regularly. Ground and scraped ways, however, are another story...I'm gaining perspective about what matters, but I do still appreciate the desire to have the experience, however temporary, of owning a "new" machine.

Back