What's new
What's new

South Bend Lathe by WB Rapp

Kim09

Plastic
Hi,
We are rehabbing a house and found a South Bend lathe in the basement. I am not familiar with them. I will attach some pictures and that it is a 9 inch swing and 4 1/2 ft bed. I was made by W.B Rapp machinery in Philadelphia, PA.
Any details about it would be great. Looking at if it is able to be sold and how much is it worth, if anything?
Thank you and looking forward to hearing from you all.Image.jpgImage-2.jpgImage-3.jpg

W.B. Rapp was a machinery dealer on 3rd street in Philadelphia. They were a South Bend dealer. The tag that says its a 9" lathe should list a Catalog number and at the far end of the bed there should be a serial number, may have to move tailstock to see it.

Post those and someone can provide more details. If you find a pile of gears, they most likely belong to the lathe.

RF

Thanks for responding. The catalog number is not visible on it anymore. Only the 9 in swing and 4 1/2 ft bed. We'll have to look around on it to see if the serial number is still on there.

Thanks for responding. The catalog number is not visible on it anymore. Only the 9 in swing and 4 1/2 ft bed. We'll have to look around on it to see if the serial number is still on there.

Thumbnail shows where serial is on right end of lathe

Attachments

• SB Serial Loc.jpg
    SB Serial Loc.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 98
It appears to be the original 9", 205 or maybe 405 commonly called 9" workshop. see the following link for further information.

http://www.lathes.co.uk/southbendmodelfive9inch/

condition is everything. Do you have the gears that goes with it. Do you have any tooling or accessories for it. Better pictures would be a big help, specifically of the bed in front of the Chuck, The saddle assembly, all tags, and the serial number which is located at the right front part of the bed. The serial number will tell us when it was made and which model it is. We need a little more information from you before we can give any kind of reasonable response.

stay safe and have fun.

Joe.

Hi guys!
I posted some more pictures like someone asked. I know it is WB Rapp from Philly. Sorry about all the different adds with pictures. I couldn't do it on one thread. But if anyone could talk the time and look through my multiple posts because I'm techno challenged, I would appreciate it! Just wondering if I can sell at all or trash. Thank you!

Back