South Bend Links: Sources for Parts, Info, etc.
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Arrow South Bend Links: Sources for Parts, Info, etc.

Thanks to the many suggestions from South Bend Forum members, here is a list of helpful links for South Bend machine owners and enthusiasts. If you know of any more that should be added to this list, please post to the thread linked above. If you know of any links here that have changed or expired, please send me a Private Message, and I will either edit or delete them.

Paula

[ADDENDUM: Most all of the links in this thread can be accessed by clicking on the bold, navy-colored text accompanying the description of the link. This also includes the "many suggestions" link above, which should be used to submit suggestions for new links for this thread.]

Sooner or later (usually sooner!) everyone needs parts for their South Bend machine. It almost goes without saying that eBay is the great parts clearing house. Though good parts, and the occasional bargain, can still be had, it’s definitely a case of Buyer Beware. There are sellers (and buyers) out there that your mother would not approve of.

South Bend Lathe Co. - The official source for original South Bend parts. In early 2009, the South Bend Lathe name, and parts business, were purchased by the owner of Grizzly Industrial from LeBlond USA, who had purchased same from (the original) South Bend Lathe before they ceased to exist. Obviously, since these parts are no longer being manufactured, the supply is gradually becoming depleted, and this situation is all-too-evident in the price.

South Bend Lathe Co. is also the place to get information about your vintage South Bend machine (most models), regarding date of manufacture, who it was originally sold to, special options, etc. The cost is currently $25 for this service, and can be accessed on-line. You will need your serial number. For lathes, this number can usually be found on the extreme right end of the front bedway:

Steve Brooks - Steve is a staple on this forum. Known for his turnkey felt kits. He also offers lubricants and other restoration goodies for South Bends. He has an eBay and Amazon store.
    eBay: stevewb | eBay Stores
    Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...=ilion+rebuild

Ron & Holly Cammarata - Long time collectors of South Bend machinery and accessories, they might have just what you're looking for. Contact Ron via Private Message (click on above link) to check on availability. Ron & Holly also sell on eBay under the user name Ipenelopepitstop. Many satisfied customers.

SBLatheman (no link) - SB Forum member "SBLatheman" (Ted) has a large stock of NOS parts to help with your repair/restoration. Contact him at [email protected] for prices and availability.

The SBL Workshop - This is the excellent website of forum-member Steve Wells ("swells"). You'll find loads of vintage SBL literature, feed screw parts/service, and repair instructions, restoration pictures, and more.

Tools4cheap - Website of Jeff Beck, who sells a variety of new and used parts, machine tools, and accessories, including some repro parts for South Bend. Check out this thread to read what some SB forum members think of Tools4cheap.

Miller Machine & Fabrication - Highly regarded supplier of repro machine parts, primarily replacement feed screws and nuts. They also offer headstock spindle restoration.

South Bend Information Plates & Tags - Forum member Jim Kull is offering his expert services in reproducing various South Bend name plates, gearbox plates, information tags, etc. Jim also offers refurbishment of your existing plates.

Brass Oiling Hole Plugs - Forum member Dennis Turk is reproducing the brass-ball oiling hole plugs for the older lathes. Also see this link for a more recent source.

Alisam Engineering - Reproduction South Bend accessories, including knock-out bars, tool grinding blocks, etc.

Metal Lathe Accessories - Machine-it-yourself kits for a wide variety of lathe accessories, primarily to fit the 9"-10K lathes. Detailed drawings and clear instructions included with each kit, as well as fast, friendly service from owner Andy Lofquist.

Baltimore Belting - Good source for custom-made flat belts.

Bolt Depot - No South Bend parts, but a nice place to purchase standard fasteners in small quantities.

Lathes.co.uk - Excellent website of historical data/pictures for South Bend lathes (plus many other brands).

Evaluating A Lathe - David Ficken’s hard-hitting treatise on buying a used lathe, aimed at the inexperienced buyer. Start your Lathe Quest here. Also recommended: Inspecting A Used Milling Machine for prospective mill purchasers, and In Praise of Klunkers(sic) for getting the most from your worn lathe.

Lindsay Books - Reprints of “How To Run A Lathe”, the South Bend lathe user’s manual, a copy of which was included with virtually every South Bend lathe ever made. Highly recommended reading.

Ozark Woodworker - Quality reprints of South Bend machine manuals.

WEWilliams - Excellent on-line collection of vintage South Bend literature, from a Practical Machinist forum-member and former Tape Monkey. Other machine tool brands also featured.

How To Use A Lathe - Not to be confused with “How To Run A Lathe”, this is a highly-detailed online instructional treatise. Great for the beginner. Sponsored by American Machine Tools Company.

The SBL Workshop - Though already included in the “Parts” section, this site needs to be included here also, due to the huge amount of South Bend information residing there.

Shopswarf - Useful machining and general shop data.

Yahoo Southbendlathe Archives - This is a collection of posts from the Yahoo Southbendlathe forum, classified by topic. From Canadian SBL forum member “Padrig”.

9” Lathe Army Manual - Online copy of a 9” SB lathe manual and parts list.

7" Shaper Army Manual - Online copy of a 7" SB shaper manual and parts list.

Text Book of Turning - This is the Hercus-equivalent of South Bend’s “How To Run A Lathe". Hercus is an Australian clone of the South Bend. Great Reading.

Reversing & Repair of Electric Motors - The title says it all.

Old Woodworking Machines - Though primarily a woodworking machinery site, many South Bend publications are included.

Continued in next post...
    Last edited by bradjacob; 05-24-2017 at 07:35 AM. Reason: Updated Shopswarf link

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

More links:

Frankenlathe - Highly detailed account of the restoration of a 1943 9B.

You spent $2,000 on WHAT??? - The engrossing tale of Charlie’s rescue of a 9” Hercus (SB clone) lathe. (This is where I learned why my star-knob screw wasn’t coming off!)

Refurbishing a 1952 South Bend 13"x40" Lathe - Profusely illustrated and professionally presented by SB Forum member, 'Grey Rider'. According to forum member 'cegreen', "This is a well-organized, extremely thorough, and well-documented account of tearing-down and rebuilding a mid-50's SB13. I've found it immensely helpful in working on my own SB13."

Maybe not the most user-friendly experience on the web, but a great collection of people, information, and resources nonetheless:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/southbendlathe

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sblinfo

http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/southbendmanual

http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/southbendlathe2

http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/grou...Junior_Lathes/

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/southbend10k

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/southbend10kpics

The South Bend Lathe Story: What Can We Learn From An ESOP “Failure”? South Bend Lathe may forever hold the dubious distinction as the company whose "owners went on strike against themselves."- Fascinating account of the reasons behind the failure of South Bend Lathe's employee stock ownership plan. Written by Norman G. Kurland.

CPI Inflation Calculator - I use this handy resource to help in relating the prices in vintage SB catalogs to our inflated monetary system.

Ball Turner Plans - Forum Member "Holescreek" has designed a ball-turning attachment for the lathe. This has turned out to be a very popular item. Pictures and drawings available at this link.

Last edited by Paula; 12-22-2012 at 11:35 PM. Reason: Removed dead links

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default crossfeed nuts and kits

I have crossfeed nuts and repair kits for south bend,logan,atlas,and clausing lathes. PM for pricing and availablitily. Thanks Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If people want to make their own brass lathe charts etc. I have some bmp files that can be downloaded free. Each download contains a reverse black and white image that can be used to etch the brass.

For the plates available...

http://bbssystem.com/viewforum.php?f=15

Mike Burdick

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Popular Mechanics Magazine

All available copies of Popular Mechanics 1900-2000+ and Popular Science 1870-2000+ are available for reading for free.
    http://books.google.com/books?id=Nt8..._issues_anchor

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default South bend half nuts

I am now also rebuilding half nuts. Call 913 636 6107 for pricing. Thanks Mike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails im002295.jpg   im002296.jpg  

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Old South Bend web site

I thought some people might be interested in seeing what used to be on the South Bend web site prior to the Grizzly purchase.
    I looked it up on the Wayback Machine and found it was archive almost completely (i.e. there are very few broken links).
    This is the most recent saved version.
    South Bend Lathes and Machine Tools

For those unfamiliar with it, the Wayback Machine (yes it is really called that) is a project to create an ongoing archive of the internet. All of it! They index (visit) sites on a regular basis and save what they find. It is a pretty useful tool for finding old web sites that have disappeared.

Josh

8. Likes Paul V. liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default A caution about using Teflon Grease in the spindle pulley

Some of us who have had Teflon grease used in our older lathes marked "Oil" and not "Grease" at the hole have experienced "warm cone pulley issues". Please see this thread for more information:

Pulley Warm When Running Back Gear... Any Advice?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default source for domed head bolts

Some lathes used domed head bolts for the bearing caps, perhaps elsewhere. The caps on the 11" and 10" are a 7/16" 14tpi with a 5/8" head.

I found out that 1926-1927 Model T Fords use domed head bolts for many things, and the one for the cylinder head is a 7/16" 14tpi with a 5/8" head, perhaps will need to be shortened to use on the lathe. They are available in nickel plated or black oxide at very good prices from Lang's Old Car Parts.

http://www.modeltford.com/pl.aspx?t=...20bolts&page=1

Jim
    Last edited by cledry; 01-19-2011 at 08:22 PM. Reason: altered URL

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Leather belts

Don't bother trying to clean a very old belt. Contact John Knox in Niles Il. (Google John Knox, leather belts) He sent me a custom belt, skived to the correct length, that I glued in place with contact cement, and told me not to send a cheque untill it is running properly. Runs smooth on my SB 9B and so much more torque! Old leather will never come back to new specs. and the new belt was very inexpensive.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Two additional links to South Bend Yahoo Forum area. These two address the Heavy 10 Models and are a great source for information specific to the 10L and R Machines.

southbendheavy10 : South Bend Heavy 10 Lathe

southbendheavy10files : South Bend Heavy 10 Files
    Last edited by Paula; 12-22-2012 at 11:37 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Flat belts

I purchased a new flat belt for my Heavy 10 here:

Al Bino Machining & Flatbelts

I bought a laced belt where you just insert the metal pin. Works great!
    Excellent customer service too.

Best of all... the price!

Hope this is useful.

Mitch Smith
    Last edited by chainfall; 05-31-2011 at 07:13 AM. Reason: fix the link text

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Talking tooling from surplus school stock CHEAP

Hey Guys and Dolls,

Now that I have your attention:

I do not know if this was ever brought up; but I found a ton of tooling (chucks, collets, face plates, steady rests) on-line at a Career and Technology Center. The site is posted below. A lot of schools are dropping tech subjects. Replacing it with hair styling and motel management I think. (wonder why we are going to hell in a hand basket). Actually they are dropping it because they cannot find teachers... we all retired.

Anyway they do not ship, look for schools or school districts in YOUR area, you will have to go inspect the stuff, the people that are selling it do not know a three jaw chuck from ground chuck but the prices here are real cheap. Remember the teacher retired last year.

Sign up for the site, it is free.... READ ALL THE RULES... THIS IS A GOVERNMENT THING. Search by location NOT by subject, most are miss labeled.

http://www.govdeals.com/index.cfm

ED S

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I am looking for a doz spiral drive pins ( That hold the selector plate on the QC gearbox ) please e-mail me derect [email protected]
    Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I’m exactly looking for the same stuff too mate; I have been searching for a good response.

__________________________________________________ __________________________

Import from China | Buy from China

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

McMaster Carr. Drive Screws.
    Here is the link. McMaster-Carr
    Last edited by rbwillnj; 04-13-2013 at 10:07 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

A source of 13" headstock shims would be appreciated, if anyone has a source.

Has any one used those size A or AA shim assortments to (at least) get a handle of what thickness is needed?

These:
    McMaster-Carr

Uh, these:
    McMaster-Carr

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by S_W_Bausch View Post
    A source of 13" headstock shims would be appreciated, if anyone has a source.

Has any one used those size A or AA shim assortments to (at least) get a handle of what thickness is needed?

These:
    McMaster-Carr

Uh, these:
    McMaster-Carr
    Steve,
    I have shims for the 13"
    Ted
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Machine Part Supply
    We chase parts for you, so you can stay focused on your project. We have access to over 20,000 suppliers.

www.machinepartsupply.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Oregon Leather Company. Saddle, tack, harness, shoes, belts, clothes and more. They have the leather for it.

I bought a 1.25" wide by 72+ inches long 1/4" thick strip for $20. I cut it to length and used a small block plane to skive the ends then glued with Gorilla Glue using a couple of pieces of angle iron and c-clamps. Ran perfect on Wade 8A serial 403. They'd never sold leather for a machine tool belt before.