south bend milling machine - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

my only other thought is two guys with dead blow hammers...one tapping the left end of the table to the right and one tapping right end of the table back toward the column..light hits in unison.

Since someone that owns one has suggested that the gib is "blind" from the backside, that would mean that you are not going to get to it via a piece of stock slid in from the right.
    Last edited by iwananew10K; 10-13-2017 at 01:21 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi I didn't mean that the gib was necessarily blind just that I didn't think you could see much from the knee side of the saddle.
    Andy

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

So, yes the narrow inner end of the gib can be reached by going in from the other side, after removing that gib. I measured the depth of what I can reach and compared it to the saddle, and how long the gibs are, and I am certain I can get some solid hits on the gib, to help drive it out. Really, I am a little concerned beating on something thats lodged way into the dovetail, where I can't see if it's causing any damage. Maybe If I had a soft drift, like a piece of brass flat bar...? And, I did remove the zerks, and get the plastic straws all the way down to soak it with some kroil. If I removed the table and saddle together, I would still be stuck (pun somewhat intended) as there is no access to any of it from underneath.
    SD

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by badwithusernames View Post
    So, yes the narrow inner end of the gib can be reached by going in from the other side, after removing that gib. I measured the depth of what I can reach and compared it to the saddle, and how long the gibs are, and I am certain I can get some solid hits on the gib, to help drive it out. Really, I am a little concerned beating on something thats lodged way into the dovetail, where I can't see if it's causing any damage. Maybe If I had a soft drift, like a piece of brass flat bar...?
    Not so sure "soft" is what is best. I'd want a material that was hard enough to assure the bar did not "upset" and add one MORE wedged-in item - EG: toolsteel ground stock if I had my druthers AND NOT Aluminium nor Brass.

Most important that the end of it gets near-as-dammit full and perfect contact with the end of the gib before it is struck, so it doesn't flare or upset that, either.

A hydraulic "pulling" cylinder, else a "push" cylinder and some chain - either way, pre-loading in the "apart" direction - it may pop-free, first modest whack.

Or so we hope for yah..

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Andy St View Post
    That brake pad /shoe is made out of a phenolic cloth plastic (Micarta).
    Andy,

What does the brake 'pad' bear against? My machine only has the pulley cone. I'm curious if I would be able to put a brake on my machine.

-Jake

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

104_2915.jpg

Brake pad on South Bend Mill.

RF

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Jake
    I thought all of these mills had a brake. I just looked at the parts manual and apparently some had just the pulley like yours and others had a disk bolted to the pulley like mine. That disk was used for the brake. Ill dig my motor up soon and post a photo if that would help you. I don't think it would be to hard to make the parts to change it over.

Andy

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks RF you beat me to it. RF's pad looks different than mine. Mine works great but might not be factory.

Andy

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I don't have my mill anymore, but I vaguely remember that the brake may have been an option or was added later. I'll have to track down my parts book file.

RF

http://www.vintagemachinery.org/pubs/1617/4833.pdf
    Last edited by RF; 10-16-2017 at 06:15 PM. Reason: added link

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

OK, link gives you whole manual not just the page I wanted, Sorry. Scroll to page 11 of 22 and it shows the brake mechanism.

RF

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Success!
    After a few tries with various solvents, penetrating oils, and methods of moving the table with no results I stepped my efforts up a notch.
    img_9898.jpgimg_9899-1.jpg
    It was tight at first but moved easily after the first inch, and the gib slid right out. It looks like there were some chips jammed between it and the dovetail, binding it up.
    The apron is filthy, so I kept going with disassembly
    img_9900.jpgimg_9901.jpgimg_9902.jpg
    Really happy with the decision to clean it, there is a ton of dried grease and chips in everything.

12. Likes Paolo_MD, jmumbauer liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I cleaned several pounds of swarf out of the knee, and then managed to coax out the gib. Tomorrow I'll get it completely apart and cleaned..
    img_9905.jpgimg_9907.jpgimg_9908.jpg
    Under the apron, on top of the knee is a cover for the knee elevation gears, and the cover is worn paper thin from water collecting on top of it. I'm going to try to coax the screws out and make a new cover.
    So, read that in spite of having zerk fittings, the table, apron, and knee should be oiled. I can see it for the table, as there is a place for the oil to drain, and as it drains it lubricates the table feed screw, and from that it lubricates the apron screw. But the knee seems better suited for grease IMO. Any thoughts on this?
    img_9903.jpgimg_9904.jpg
    Thanks for the info and advice this far, its a big help.
    SD

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Andy St View Post
    Jake
    I thought all of these mills had a brake. I just looked at the parts manual and apparently some had just the pulley like yours and others had a disk bolted to the pulley like mine. That disk was used for the brake. Ill dig my motor up soon and post a photo if that would help you. I don't think it would be to hard to make the parts to change it over.

Andy
    I think I'd like to add a brake to my milling machine eventually. Waiting for the spindle to drift to a stop every time is just maddening sometimes...

I can see in the photo from RF that there's a brake drum/disc right above the pulley. Mine definitely doesn't have that. If anyone has a brake handle or any other parts for the braking mechanism I would gladly entertain a purchase.

-Jake

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Jersey
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

what about a 3 phase motor driven by a VFD? That would allow the VFD to decelerate the motor on stop at whatever rate you program in.

16. Likes Paolo_MD liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The brake holds the spindle so you can tighten the drawbar.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Erich View Post
    There is also a spindle lock pin, that engages the lower pulley. I've been working on cleaning the hard dried grease from everything, oiling and reassembling it all. I did repair the broken end of the one gib, and hope to get the table all adjusted and moving again tomorrow.
    jmumbauer, I have plans to make the brake lever and shoe in the future, I'll send you a message when I do. Though, I have the brake disc on top of the pulley stack already. Do you?
    SD

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by badwithusernames View Post
    There is also a spindle lock pin, that engages the lower pulley. I've been working on cleaning the hard dried grease from everything, oiling and reassembling it all. I did repair the broken end of the one gib, and hope to get the table all adjusted and moving again tomorrow.
    jmumbauer, I have plans to make the brake lever and shoe in the future, I'll send you a message when I do. Though, I have the brake disc on top of the pulley stack already. Do you?
    SD
    SD,

Nope, no disc on mine. Mine doesn't have the spindle lock pin either. It would be nice too for loosening the collets instead of needing to use 2 wrenches every time.

The VFD is a good idea to use it to program deceleration. Currently I use a RPC, but it's so noisy I have entertained the idea of a VFD.

-Jake

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Erich View Post
    There is no drawbar on this mill.

Nice to see that you got the table apart and are making progress.

Andy

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yes, back together and working. I've used it for a number of projects and made adjustments along the way, and I'm very happy with the way it's working. I've recently bought a 2.5" face mill, and used it to true up some aluminum riser blocks, very nice finish and plenty of power.
    The latest project is modifying the arbor on an Enco boring/facing head, so that I can do some engine work on some old VW cases.
    SD

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I didn't see a comment after you removed all the grease on disassembly. Like a Bridgeport, the zerk fittings get way oil, not grease. Helps getting rid of most of the chips that stick to grease like glue. Hope you are oiling it now, not greasing.

John