Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I got the 3rd vid posted. It shows the turret head and turret slide assembled:

South Bend Lathe No 2-H Part 3: Turret and Slide Assemble - YouTube

I'll try to get the pics up in a few days.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Here's some of the pics from the turret head and turret slide as I began assembly:

25.jpg27.jpg28.jpg

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Preparing the indexing pin for install. It has wear, I'll be looking to make one or replace it in the future. The taper end fits into seats on the bottom side of turret head. If you've done any cylinder head work, think like valve seats and the tapered valve face. the seats in turret head are replaceable, but show little wear.

29.jpg30.jpg

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Remove any nicks, burrs, or high spots, so indexing pin can pass cleanly through bore. Align slot on indexing pin, so when it is in bore, the arm can go into the slot. slide arm into position then install the pivot pin for arm through hole along rail edge. It should move all nice and free, until spring and retaining screw is installed on bottom side of indexing pin:

35.jpg31.jpg34.jpg32.jpg33.jpg

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Install turret head into turret slide without center shaft, lubing everything as you go. It should spin nice and free. Then lube bore of turret head, and shaft. Install shaft by aligning keyway, you need a block of wood and hammer to get it all the way down. Once shaft is down you still want turret head to spin free.

36.jpg37.jpg

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Flip turret slide on its side to work on the bottom. The nut needs to be installed on shaft that was just installed. Shaft is on a taper, so if you pull nut too tight it will begin to lock up turret head to turret slide. Its not a wheel bearing, so you don't really want a preload on taper. Start tightening nut, while spinning turret head. When you feel a slight drag on turret head, stop. Mark one point of the nut to some point on turret slide, so you have an idea where the nut need to stop. Loosen nut 120 degrees, or two points of nut. Use a hammer to smack nut driving shaft up to loosen turret head free.

In the end you want turret head perfectly spinning free, but no up and down play. After smacking nut with hammer, tighten nut 60 degrees or one point of nut. Check turret head is free, no up and down play. Lock set screw inside of nut, which should have a brass insert under set screw, so as not to damage shaft threads:

38.jpg39.jpg42.jpg

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

At some point you need to install the spring and retaining screw to bottom side of indexing pin. I highly suggest NOT installing now. As I learned the hard way, You need to work out the timing of the ring gear for the all-thread stops. This requires continuously spinning turret head, to either check the timing, and to remove and install taper pins while checking the timing. Well that spring is stout, trying to hold arm to unlock indexing pin from turret head is a real bear, Better off leaving it as the last thing you install in turret head:

40.jpg41.jpg

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Now I marked the timing before disassembly, but in checking, and double checking, I found the timing was wrong prior to me taking it apart. The all-thread stops should contact the center of this mechanism. But notice the gouge running along the side where the all-thread missed:

48.jpg49.jpg

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Now that mechanism does not sit in the middle, Its slightly toward the side your standing while working. To get a good measurement, set the slide alignment wedges up inside the rails and take your measurements. Then I set a bolt in a hole in the rear collar on turret slide, to measure from outside of rail to center of bolt.

You need the whole shaft, ring gear, inside and outside collars in place, and taper pins assembled to see exactly where you are at. To make adjust to timing, you need to jump the ring gear one tooth at a time, assemble everything, take measurement. Because of this, I would not wail taper pins home, until you feel real sure you are in time. Just push them in by hand so that they are snug. Both taper pins need to be removed to get ring gear free to jump to next tooth, pain in the ass, took me about 8 teeth, and ended up around 180 degrees from where I began. But in the end I feel we will be in time now:

43.jpg45.jpg46.jpg47.jpg52.jpg

10. Likes Sachmanram liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Go ahead and install the spring and retaining screw for indexing pin now. Flip it back upright. Shoot oil around center shaft, and into the 6 holes that will be covered by locking handle and cone. Also pull plug and shoot oil into external oil hole. I'm real pleased with this section:

55.jpg54.jpg56.jpg

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Jersey
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Looking good.

I saw on someone's machine recently (yours??) where they had a somewhat similar looking multi-stop for the carriage. I kinda like the simplicity of it really, just multiple lengths of screw rod on a rotating barrel to select which rod hits the stop.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by gadget73 View Post
    Looking good.

I saw on someone's machine recently (yours??) where they had a somewhat similar looking multi-stop for the carriage. I kinda like the simplicity of it really, just multiple lengths of screw rod on a rotating barrel to select which rod hits the stop.
    Thanks a lot. I'm not sure if you saw mine, haha, but i'm digging the turret end myself, and i wasn't really looking for this style originally. I got more pieces up on the bench from the turret apron side, and i got most of it un-stuck and operating, with nothing broken that i have found yet.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I got the fourth vid up. I more or less strip and removed the turret apron in it. I'll work on posting pics later. For anyone interested the 4th vid is here:

South Bend No 2-H Turret Lathe part 4 Turret Apron Disassemly - YouTube

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Working on getting the turret apron, and lower portion of slide off. In the 4 spoke wheel there is a plug with detent spring and ball, as the wheel is the clutch adjustment also:

57.jpg58.jpg59.jpg

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The next few posts show the turret apron and parts:

62.jpg63.jpg60.jpg64.jpg61.jpg

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

With the upper cover off turret apron we see inside:

65.jpg66.jpg67.jpg

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

With turret apron off, I work to get main apron and saddle off:

68.jpg69.jpg70.jpg

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I then start on head stock. Doing some cleaning first, to try to keep the bulk of the mess centralized. Prior to starting, the spindle was stuck, it would not spin. I pulled the caps, got everything lubed and spinning nicely. There is no removable bearings for spindle. Not sure if it was original or not, but it looks like maybe babbitt for bearings. There is wear lines on bearing surfaces and spindle. Still have shims under caps. Not sure if I'll line bore or not. Like I said it spins free now, no up and down play, and about a half a thousandth thrust on spindle. With chuck off, but face plate for chuck still up, I read about a half a thousandth runout on the face, and about .0007" on the rim.

I did find a used spindle with bearings that I bought, but did not receive yet. Currently I am thinking I will use the original head stock and spindle now. And buy either another 16" and/or another headstock. I have an idea to line bore a headstock by placing the headstock to be bored in front of the the operating head stock, and making a cutting to run between operating headstock and tail stock. . . but it has to be worked out yet. I feel like I need a lathe to work on my lathe. . . lol.

Another side note. I bought the 4 recommended oils. My spindle did not spin as well with spindle oil. I switched to atf like a dextron type 3, and spins much better. I'm probably going to roll with atf in the aprons as well. Way oil my ass, that's gear oil if i ever smelled it, haha, anybody who has done old differencials, gear boxes, or standard transmissions would know, the smell stays with you.

71.jpg72.jpg73.jpg74.jpg

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

With the head stock off I worked on cleaning the bed up in place, prior to lifting it. It cleaned up well. While the ways are not perfect, I'm quite pleased in how they look, not too bad for 74 years old.

75.jpg76.jpg77.jpg78.jpg

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I then work to get the bed lifted off:

79.jpg80.jpg81.jpg82.jpg