South Bend Picture Gallery - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Bad pics of a great lathe, this is my 1932 SB 9' Junior, it's not restored but has been my "workhorse" lathe for many years.

I am just finishing up a rebuild of a heavier Simplex with a 8 inch chuck so the poor old junior might be finding a new home soon, my shop's not that big.

It's been a great little lathe for me, more than worth the $200 I spent on it.

Last edited by Paula; 02-22-2009 at 02:46 PM.

2. Likes letlevski liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default My South Bend Lathes

The first is a 1947 SB9" that was built for South Bend and not shipped for sale. It was sold in the 60's to a modeler in Peotone, Illinois, who used it until his death in 2005. I bought it from his wife.It still sports it's original paint job and is a very tight smooth machine.

The second is my 10K which was built and shipped in 1960 to the Couch & Heyle Hardware Store in Peoria, Illinois. They owned it until 2007 when they went out of business.I bought it from the guy that was contracted to clean out the building.It was shipped with a taper attachment and thread dial.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Smile

This is my 9A. It was built in the mid 60's and was used in a busy machine shop. It was in pretty sad shape when I took ownership and had been sitting maybe 10 years. To begin the restore I line bored the headstock and installed bronze sleeves:

Fitting bronze sleeves - 9" headstock.

It has a modified spindle oiling system that is proving to work extremely well. I added a new 3/4hp Leeson DC motor and a variable speed Minirak DC drive. I installed a non spliced 7rib serpentine type belt for the flat pulleys. It runs very very smooth. It'll take a .1" DOC in 3 diameter" aluminum at 3 times the feed rate of my old import 9x20 did and with a much better finish. It has a worn bed but I can work around that.

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

This is my lathe... an SB 9" with the 54" bed. Super shape. I am away at present so the date and other info is with lathe in my Penna. shop...PAULA !!!! Thank you for all the help in posting picture...ps..I know you have MORE info on this model...Thanks again!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ok Here's my SB9A

9" Workshop model A lathe s/n 40915NAR9 Model 16442 shipped on 3-1-1957 (not quite as old as me by 4 years). This is pretty much as it arrived in 2003 with a home made QCTP a previous owner cobbled up. It now has an Aloris AXA mounted. It came with the table it's on which I stiffened up with cross bracing. The chip pan is from the automotive department at Walmart. I also added the 1/4" thick steel pads under the lathe feet for mounting and leveling.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default 1941 9a 644z

In the process of a good cleaning & re-wicking:

Model: 9A
    Catalog Number: 644Z
    S/N: 113365
    Size: 9” Swing, 42” Bed
    Shipped to: Clark Machine Company, Rahway, NJ
    Ship Date: 05 June 1941
    Last edited by Paula; 02-22-2009 at 03:22 PM.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

SB13x6 with taper.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default 1936 Workshop Model 415 - 9x36

Here my first restoration - June 2007

Before:

After:

10. Likes wcnaak, rpchristian, WayneinMaine, TFCO liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks to Enginebuilder (Jim), this is the 13 I bought off ebay. It's made alot of chips since this picture and needs a good cleaning. I have added new Bison 3-jaw and 4-jaw chucks and an import 5C collet chuck along with about a dozen or so imprt tool holders for the aloris tool post. It does all I ask of it without missing a beat.

12. Likes wcnaak, Joe0121 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well I will post mine, it is an unrestored heavy 10" 17457 RKX

It was used less than 1 year in a gun shop and a friend bought it and never used it, I bought it from his son after his death in 2006.

It came with a Master Mill model B (which he never used)

Les

14. Likes gwilson, driftpin, letlevski liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

9" Model A, Cat# CL344ZD, single phase, 1959. Got it for the right price, FREE. The school where I worked discontinued their metal shop program and moved out all the equipment for renovation last June. It wasn't used very much and is in excellent condition. It takes a little getting used to operating it. My other lathe is an 18" B&E and I have been used to taking some big cuts. The SB takes a lot longer to make parts on. But, nice machine anyway. I stripped it down and removed years of grime before painting. Came with 2 4-jaw chucks, 3 jaw, steady rest, follower rest, extra tailstock, extra tool posts, numerous tool holders, extra thread dial, live centers, dead centers, face plates, dogs, collets, 1/2" drill chucks, taper shank drills and a whole box of 1/4" carbide. Couldn't go wrong with this one.

Last edited by Paula; 03-11-2008 at 08:36 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default My 9 inch South Bend Lathe

That worked out great . . . .
    Last edited by Paula; 03-11-2008 at 08:37 PM.

17. Likes letlevski liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default One ugly SB

Started out life as a 1946 C, I've had it for almost ten years. Not my first lathe, but my first SB. The only things left are the bed and the tail stock. I've changed the head, apron, dials, lead screw, carriage, etc etc.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

This time last year:

Now:

I thought that this string would give me an opportunity to show you how my lathe turned out. About this time last year I got this 10K in sealed bid auction of some surplus equipment where I work. Since then, I have been inspired and guided by your posts and assisted your answers to the many questions I've had. There hasn't been one aspect of this project that wasn't influenced by the folks on this forum. I've equipped the "T" slot cross slide with a milling attachement. A couple of months after I bought the lathe, the other cross slide with the compound rest turned up in cabinet at work and was given to me. It was new, packed in cosmoline and had never been used.

Thanks
    Last edited by Paula; 09-07-2008 at 11:41 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

This is my 1950 10K

Last edited by Paula; 03-14-2008 at 01:05 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Talking

Here is my 13 inch South bend with 14 inch bed. I paid 75 dollars for it, primarily for the motor and undercarridge for another 13 that I am rebuilding. It was advertised as a bowl turning lathe on craigslist. Very rare Go figure only one I've seen.

William
    Last edited by Paula; 03-14-2008 at 01:06 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Wow, I must have done the quantum leap thing again, I haven't been around here for a while. Here's mine, 1942 13" spent its early years in the guts of a Navy ship training our soldiers. I bought it from under a pine tree, covered in snow. Some peoples kids.

Jim

PS, looking thru this thread, we collectively, have one of the nicest South Bend collections in the world
    Last edited by enginebuilder; 03-14-2008 at 01:44 AM. Reason: kant spel werth a krap :-(

23. Likes wcnaak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Here is a picture of my 1927 9" Jr. with 4' bed that I cleaned and repainted. I'm tempted to scrap the cast iron legs that came with it for a base/cabinet with storage. My shop is short on storage and that is a lot of wasted space underneath.

Kurt

Last edited by Paula; 03-23-2008 at 02:49 PM. Reason: Adjusted tone balance

25. Likes letlevski liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Here's some pictures of my "family". These have been posted before but I thought I'd include them in this thread. 1948 heavy 10 with weird markings on bed, 1951 16" after cleanup and reassembly, 7" shaper which I hope to figure out how to use someday.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default my lathe

Here are some pics of my FREE 1939 "C" SB lathe as it found its way into my shop at work and some pics of it about 80% completed after a complete teardown and rebuild and paintjob....found a table and motor and will get the drive unit all assembled within the next week or two.

Before:

After:

Last edited by Paula; 02-22-2009 at 02:49 PM.

28. Likes letlevski liked this post