What's new
What's new

South Bend Picture Gallery

Paula

Titanium
Here is a thread to show off your beloved
heartbeat.gif
South Bend machine (lathe, mill, shaper, drill press, etc.) This is to be a special thread, sort of a "family album" for the SB Forum, so please observe the following guidelines:

1) South Bend machines only, please

2) One picture per machine, unless you have "before" and "after" restoration pictures

3) Since this thread will have A LOT of photos, please limit the size of direct-posted images to 800 pixels wide. If you think your picture might be too large, and don't know how to reduce it, post it anyway. I will reduce it for you.

4) If you upload your photo(s) to the forum server (with the clickable thumbnails), you can include as many as you want.

5) You are encouraged to post as much information with your picture(s) as you want (how you acquired it, original or restored, special options, modifications, etc.), though this is entirely optional.

6) To maintain the focus of this thread, please refrain from posting extraneous discussion. That's not what this thread is about. If you would like information about your machine, please post to the "Serial Numbers Wanted" thread. If you want to start an open discussion about your machine, feel free to start a new thread.

Okay... who's going to be first?

Last edited:
1958(?) South Bend
10524RKL15

HALCO.jpg

I bought this lathe on craigslist for $200 from an old woman whose son had moved away and no longer wanted the machine. She gave me a 120lb fisher anvil with it for another $20. She was so excited to hear I would use the stuff.

Yes, the tailstock has a quill, however this picture was taken at a time when I was repairing damaged threads in the quill. Honestly, I barely use the tailstock anyways. Most of the work I do is so close to the chuck that I rarely need or can use a center. When I drill, I generally hold it on the toolpost for power feeds...

It only came with a handwheel collet holder and a lantern toolpost. I planed the bed, rescraped all of the surfaces, and then adapted a 9" 4-jaw chuck off of a 1913 13" SB (which i no longer have).

Next is to fit a 6" Buck 3-jaw chuck to the spindle, make a telescoping crossfeed screw for the taper attachment, and build a new mount for the collet rack so I can keep it on the headstcok end of the machine. I'll also set it up with a radius attachment. Someday.

I've also been meaning to make a spindle nose adapter so I can move work from my dividing head to my lathe without having to re-align it.

All of this for a machine that is currently sitting over 3,000 miles from me. Curses.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's a picture of my 1936 11"; the only pictures I have of it in one piece are the pictures that were on the Ebay auction that I bought it from. Hopefully I'll have it back in one piece someday, stripping and painting is a slow process!

2380655570101798400S500x500Q85.jpg

Thanks,
David

Last edited:
Heavy 10 4 1/2 foot bed

lathe2.jpg

Rescued from a Delphi Plant outside Detroit. It was painted the ugliest blue I have ever seen. Packed with chips but still ran. Talked my brother in law into helping me move it - last time he'll do that. Have added a VFD and Tachulator and changed the threaded spindle headstock for a D1-4 headstock (after this pic was taken)- the threaded headstock is available for sale if anyone is interested.

Did not like the weight of the collet rack hanging on the bed so I moved it to the lip of the bench/chip pan.

Dennis

1976 10K
SBathomehead.jpg

This is my 10K. It was not cheap but it is only money. The first owner only made 10 items with this lathe. He did not like metal working.

This is my 13x40 South Bend. I have not restored anything or painted anything (obviously), and I have to say that I am really envious of those new looking SB machines that you folks have shown. I'm afraid that the shots I have of the lathe are mostly of the machine in use. Paula, resize at will.......

The 13x40 is the closest thing to an ideal gunsmith's lathe that I have found!

Receiverfacing006.jpg

I use my 5C collet setup extensively, as well as a 3-jaw and a 4-jaw. I have steady and follow rests, lantern and QC tool holders, and a set of Metric change gears.

Clemson

Kind of like going on a date, had to get her all cleaned up for the picture!! Just found a decent bed, saddle and tailstock and got it all back together. The bed was an C so I had to mod it for the QC box, It has been working great for me, mostly used in our G2 Porsche machine shop for head work..

Thelathe.jpg

Thanks for all the pictures so far -- some really nice machines!

Here are my three SB's...

First, my 1947 9A lathe (you can read more about it here):

LATHE.jpg

The shaper, as yet unrestored (but doesn't really need it):

SHAPER.jpg

And, the drill press (I added a Multi-Speed Attachment after this picture was taken. Read more about it here):

DRILL.jpg

Paula

1912 Model 34

Well I'm about a year into it, and the LAST! coat paint is drying on the apron as I type. The year part is mostly due to the hour here, hour there pace. If you ask my wife I only have 4 or 5 man hours into it. (shh) Mak'n chips by April? (Fingers Crossed!)
If you want a play by play (sorta), or just to poke around and look at some one else's pictures try notforsale.net

Doug S.

My South Bend 10K was made in 1968 and has Variable Speed control on it with the taper attachment. Variable Speed was offered on a few 10K machines in the years 1967 and 1968 only, according to what SB told me. The first photo is how it looked off the truck in 1998. I now have almost every attachment made for this lathe, at a total cost that exceeds the price I paid for the machine of course!

Attached also is a 2nd shot of the single pulley headstock. The lathe has a very wide belt. South Bend bought the vari-speed pulleys from Hi-Lo Manufacturing Company in Minnesota and fitted them to these lathes, using South Bend made hand wheel and the other hardware to make it work. SB could not tell me why the idea was dropped after 2 years, but most likely it was too costly, because it certainly works perfectly.

I bought my lathe in 1998 from a guy in Conn, where the lathe was first sold to the original owner, and I flat bedded it to Texas. It is one of my prized tools(#1) along with my Bridgeport Vari-speed Mill which is #2.......pg

DSC_2973022006-07-01_09-56-30.jpg

Folks have seen this before but I'll put it up there. There have been some changes
over the years - mostly extra gray in the beard - but the lathe is pretty much the same.

Jim.jpg

The lathe is was bought to replace the first 10L I owned, both out of dave sobel's
shop. The first was a well-worn 'war production board' machine. The one in the
photo above has hard ways and really does most of the work in my home shop.

ROZEN2.jpg

The drill press was a freebie that I snagged out of the hallway at work, about 25 years
ago. It's recently been fitted with a 3~ motor and a VFD. That's such a handy
combination I'm seriously thinking of doing the same to my walker-turner drill at home.

Jim

southbend-2.jpg

This is my South Bend 13 x 40 lathe. I bought this lathe new in 1979. It has not been used in the last 2 years since we moved. I am looking forward to setting it up and getting it running again.

Here is my Horizontal Drive Model B. S/S:117054 Shippied in 1941

It's currently apart having the bed redone.

She started off as an e-bay wreck.

BENT1.jpg

BENT2.jpg

Back