South Bend Picture Gallery - Page 3
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default '71 10k

This lathe was rescued from the scrap man who was going to haul it away to be melted down. It was removed from the aftermath of a school fire in Stettler Alberta, Canada. It cost me $50 Canadian which was probably $30 in US funds at the time. The headstock cover and tailstock were broken but have used it like that for fifteen years. Found cover and tailstock on eBay and decided to strip and check it out and paint it all the same color last week. Headstock bearings checked out perfect and the tailstock set to "0" perfectly. All other systems were right on.

The serial number is 15374 KAR and was bought from Fairbanks Morse, I think around 1971. It is now in Glade BC (Castlegar,) and has a loving home along with a Tom Senior mill, a Sunnen Cylinder hone, two brake lathes, a rod grinder, and assorted woodworking tools. The quick-change toolpost was made by one of my students in my machine shop class, plus a drawer full of toolholders. Also, I cast up the thread dial indicator body using a standard modern one as a mold, and built the rest. The steady in the background I made from a piece of 1" aluminum plate.

Peter
    Last edited by Paula; 03-23-2008 at 02:53 PM. Reason: Reformat

2. Likes letlevski liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Here is my cleaned up 1941 model C. It was retrofit by a previous owner with model A apron for power feeds. And they also fabricated a rather ingenious vertical motor mount so it takes up less space. The teardown and repainting taught me a great deal about the construction of the lathe. Now if I can master some of the basic operations. I must admit I now have the fever for additional old machine tools and am looking for a complimentary size mill, shaper, who knows what else.

4. Likes wcnaak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Heavy 10 , all work and no polishing

This is the Heavy 10 I posted in the belt replacement serpinteen thread. It has a new 1 1/8" wide serpinteen belt on it and doing well.

This came from my father who added the metric gears hence the larger and new cover.

- Reed
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails sb10l-playpen2-ss.jpg   sb10l-playpen1-ss.jpg  

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Here's my 1955 9" X 42" A. Bought and rebuilt it about 20 yrs. ago.

Joe

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Here is my lathe. Best I could come up with was it's a 1928 SB lathe but that is not yet proven.

My theory is the guards are gone and they had the serial number on them, there is nothing on the bed.

I'd LOVE for someone to be able to tell me what this thing really is.

I took it apart, tightened things up and painted it along with making the motor bracket and tension setup.

Can anyone help identify it?? Thanks!!
    Last edited by Paula; 02-22-2009 at 12:03 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default My 1953 SB-9

Here's my May, 1953, SB-9A before and after a complete rebuild. I also have the complete taper attachment for it, but haven't finished cleaning/repainting it yet.

Last edited by Paula; 03-22-2008 at 02:14 PM. Reason: Insert carriage returns between text and pictures

9. Likes letlevski liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default 1948 9" Model A

Let's see if I can get this right;

Perk in Cincinnati
    Last edited by Paula; 02-22-2009 at 12:04 PM.

11. Likes Joe0121 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Here is my Boxford VSL 500 9":

Last edited by Paula; 08-07-2010 at 07:23 AM. Reason: picture missing

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Here's my 1967 Heavy 10. It has a 4 foot bed and D1-4 Camlock. I bought it from Fred Eiser who got it from Farmingdale College in New York. SB did not have the card so not sure how it got to the college. I haven't used it much, just finished my Masters, and had a little girl well, my wife helped !

14. Likes letlevski liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default South Bend 6"/12" CNC

This is my South Bend Magnaturn 6-12 CNC lathe. I have the tool turret apart right now so it's not operational. I hope to get it back on line in the next few months. Tex

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

1972 Toolroom Model Heavy 10. All original, including paint, down to the 36 year old cosmoline on the leadscrew and gears.

Last edited by Waterlogged; 03-18-2008 at 01:24 PM. Reason: Reword

17. Likes letlevski liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default 1952 Heavy 10 Tool Room

It's a bit dirty but I guess that just says back in the work force...

19. Likes ChipChaff, letlevski liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default My South Bend Lathe

This is my South Bend Lathe, I think it's a Heavy 10", when I get the numbers off it I'll post them. Got this lathe from my dad. It had sat in a shed for a long time, rusted to the point of nothing turning or moving. I got it to my shop and took it apart, oiled, cleaned, sandblasted, painted, got parts freed up and had lots of fun doing it. Now I'm trying to learn how to use it.

If you can tell me more about this lathe from the picture, I'd certainly appreciate it.
    Last edited by Paula; 03-19-2008 at 12:06 PM.

21. Likes letlevski liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default okay, so it needs a little work...

23. Likes letlevski liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well, Here is my new toy. I have not done anything to it yet, but I'm ready to start cleaning it up. 1974, 10L (Heavy) came from Penn Fishing Reels R&D lab I was told. Hardened ways, 3 phase, virtually no wear, really clean, even the motor. Hooked up and running off my 3 phase converter, runs smooth as silk and is tight.

Last edited by Paula; 03-23-2008 at 03:06 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Here is a picture of my 1972 Heavy 10 Toolroom model. This is what it looked like when I bought it. Not all of the tooling is shown in the photo.

It hasn't seen all that much actual use in it's lifetime and is in excellent shape. I could have set it up and started to use it right away. But, I decided to go ahead and do a complete tear down inspection and overhaul/repaint instead.

alg4884

Last edited by Paula; 03-23-2008 at 03:08 PM.

26. Likes wcnaak, letlevski liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Vermont
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'm away from home for a while, and didn't think I had a picture of mine, but I find I had one on my digital camera. It's a Model A, about 1950 vintage, which I bought from a local dealer for far too much, but there it is, and it's a nice one with not much wear. This picture was taken right after I got it. Since then, I've added a QC tool post, and made a micrometer stop using a hunk of Corian (nice stuff for those of us who lack milling equipment and must still do it with saws and files). I'm not sure whether it was here or somewhere else that I saw the suggestion, but I used a bicycle seat-post quick release skewer for the clamp. Still working on acquiring more tooling and accessories, and of course immediately lusting after more equipment, but for the moment, this is what I've got, and I'm enjoying catching up on little maintenance and fabricating jobs that were just a little too much for my previous 6 inch Craftsman.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My 10L

29. Likes wcnaak, Joe0121 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default My 13"

Not sure why all the pictures look white it is gray. Must just be the lighting in the shop. Has been used most recently to make a new handle for the wood lathe I bought. I seem to keep collection more tools and not more room.

I keep teaching myself to use it till I can take some formal classes.

31. Likes wcnaak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default 13

Here is my 13" with 7' bed 1928. Couldn't get a straight on shot due to too much junk in the way. My brother Rob bought it for me six years ago. We dismantled it to bring it to the shop. For testing, we cleaned up all wear surfaces (including gearbox and apron) oiled it up, tightened the spindle bearings and then cobbled up a RPC. Been using it like that ever since. Everything's in perfect working order (except for broken half-nuts, excessive bed wear, milaligned carriage, worn out spindle bearings, ugly ho-made countershaft pedestal (my own do-ins), sloppy gibs, forty layers of good attitude green paint, scored tapers, broken tumbler handle...). Still its been too useful to tear down for rehab. Also it occurs to me that to repair an old lathe, another lathe would be real handy. That problem will be solved shortly when I take delivery (read get off my butt and go fetch) of an almost new 90 year old hendey conehead.

Pat Black

33. Likes wcnaak, frdtrkguy, letlevski liked this post